Shannon Welch/Photo Editor

The Cardinals have held their own even against stiff competition this season, but were struck with a heartbreaking conference loss at Bowdoin this past weekend. The Cardinals have won all of their non-conference matches by an overwhelming margin of 80 to 15, and they have lost three NESCAC games by no more than two goals a game. Given the strength of the conference this season, the Cardinals have been valiant in their efforts, clinging to the fourth seed overall. If the Cards manage to hold onto their spot, they will have the final home playoff bid in conference championship play. A strong performance in their final three matches against rivals Trinity, Conn College, and Tufts would put the Redbirds in a fine position to regain the NESCAC championship, a title they have not held since 2009.

Wesleyan went off to Hartford on Tuesday, April 16 to compete against a lowly Trinity team looking to sneak into playoffs. It had the makings of a mismatch from the beginning as the Cardinals rolled over their opponents for the first two quarters, holding the Bantams scoreless. Meanwhile, Graham Macnab ’14, David Murphy ’15, and Matt Prezioso ’15 got the away side on the board by tacking on a goal apiece.

The Cards managed to shut out their opponents through the first 32 minutes of the match until Trinity broke through with a long-range blast to the lower portion of the net. Despite relinquishing the potential for a shutout, the Cardinals had very little to worry about; Trinity never came within two goals in this contest. While the offense put solid pressure on the Trinity net—firing 25 on-target shots to Trinity’s 9—the centerpiece of the Cardinal victory was the defense. The staunch Wesleyan backline held its opponent to just two goals, its best showing in NESCAC play this season. Keeper Mark Simmons ’14 turned away seven Trinity shots, and veteran defenseman Mike Robinson ’13 frustrated the Bantams, causing four turnovers and picking up four groundballs.  That defense made the conclusion foregone for the Cardinals, who punctuated the victory when leading scorer Macnab sent home an unassisted blast, his 19th goal of the year, to close out the contest 6-2.

Next up, the Cardinals will have one their toughest challenges of the season in the form of visiting Tufts, a traditional NESCAC powerhouse currently jockeying for the first seed with Conn College and Middlebury. If the Cardinals want to improve their fortune and take a run at the NESCAC regular season title, they’ll have their work cut out for themselves in slowing down the NESCAC’s highest-scoring squad. Luckily, the Cardinals will be hosting at the familiar confines of Jackson Field this Saturday, April 20; the home-field advantage sets up the perfect opportunity for a big Cardinal upset.