Let me be honest: I’m a snobby New York City foodophile. My grandmother lives on 6th Street in Manhattan, which has more than five good Indian restaurants and a vegetarian Vietnamese restaurant that will convince even the staunchest carnivore to eat seitan. At home, I have my pick of 24-hour diners, falafel restaurants, and novelty locations that fall under the category of “good for dates.” I have about 10 different places that serve “the best pizza in the world” within walking distance.

Let me be honest: my primary concern before coming to Wesleyan was that the variety and quality of food of the school and of Middletown would be inadequate. Some people worry about academics, but I was worried that my frequent cravings for quality off-the-beaten-track food would be insatiable by the surrounding options.

Let me be honest: I had nothing to worry about, and neither do you. Main Street has a plethora of options that will satisfy almost any craving you have: pizza, crepes, chocolate, Thai food, Indian food, cheap takeout, and brunch. You can even be satisfied entirely by Usdan for long stretches of time, especially if you embrace creative concoctions and consume the Scotch bonnet sauce at Mongolian Grill to keep your spice-tolerance muscles in shape. You have the grilled cheese truck and the falafel truck (get French fries in your falafel wraps for added late-night goodness) to provide culinary entertainment when it is most necessary (in the middle of the night on weekends), and WesWings brunch (heavenly) when food is necessary again just a few hours later. If none of this seems adequate, you should cook for yourself and write about it for the food section of The Argus.

Even now, almost done with freshman year (how did that happen?), I still feel like I haven’t fully explored my different gustatory options. Shame on me. The feelers I’ve slowly spread out still haven’t reached the Star and Crescent Eating Club located on campus, or the NoRA cupcake truck, or the panini menu at Red and Black Café. I still haven’t fully explored Main Street, let alone any other street. I still haven’t hosted a dinner party.

My point is, whatever disgustingly high standards you have for food will be met, and even exceeded if you make some effort. Everyone has standards, and whether your vice is a need for excessive exotic food, dessert, vegan options, or fried delights, you can continue to define yourselves by these high culinary standards without worry.

Get ready for four years of dehydration resulting from unhealthy levels of mouth watering.

• dfg

NYC: consistently overated