Director of Public Safety David Meyer will retire effective June 30, 2013, according to an all-campus email sent by Vice President for Finance and Administration John Meerts on Monday, April 15.

“Dave has been a Wesleyan employee for 33 years and has held every position within the Office of Public Safety from officer to director,” Meerts wrote. “He oversaw the Commencement visit of presidential candidate Barack Obama to Wesleyan, and he has guided Public Safety through many other campus events—ranging from the most difficult and tragic to logistically challenging storms to visits from dignitaries and celebrities.”

Meyer said that his decision is not precipitous and that during the transition to a new director, he will be available to the University if any needs should arise.

“[The decision is] not sudden, but [it’s] not long term either,” Meyer said. “[It’s] something that’s been in the back of my mind for a while.”

According to Meerts, students, faculty, and staff will be involved in the search for a new director. The search will run nationally, but internal candidates from the University may apply as well.

“At this point no person has yet been appointed to head the search committee,” Meerts wrote in an email to The Argus.

If the search does not conclude by the time of Meyer’s retirement at the end of June, an interim director will take over the position.

“I am confident that the impact of this transition on the community will be minimal,” Meerts wrote.

Meerts praised Meyer’s tenure at the University in the all-campus email.

“Throughout his many years of service, Dave has acted with quiet and assured professionalism,” he wrote. “Please join me in thanking him for his numerous contributions to Wesleyan.”

President Michael Roth wrote in an email to The Argus that he bids Meyer the best in his future endeavors.

“Dave Meyer has been a valued member of Wesleyan Public Safety for 33 years,” Roth wrote in an email to The Argus. “We are grateful for his leadership over the years and wish him well.”

Meyer expressed satisfaction with his time at the University.

“It’s been a great run; I’ve really enjoyed it,” he said. “I’ve got plenty of memories, both good and bad, of things that have happened here. But, you know, it’s time.”

Additional reporting by News Editor Christina Norris.