Noah Langholz '14, taken on Sunday March 17, 2013 after finishing the LA Marathon in 4.5 hours.

On Tuesday, March 19, Noah Langholz ’14 died unexpectedly at his home in the Los Angeles area. According to a campus-wide announcement sent by Assistant Vice President and Dean of Students Rick Culliton, Langholz was a photography major and was on leave from the University at the time of his passing.

Langholz was a resident of Film Hall during his time at the University. According to Tobias Butler ’13, a friend of Langholz who once lived with him on Film Hall, the Californian enjoyed working on films with friends and had strong interests in photography and architecture.

“He was also a phenomenal juggler,” Tobias Butler wrote in an email to The Argus. “He could juggle five no problem and do all kinds of tricks.”

During the spring of 2012, Langholz took a semester off from the University to intern at an architectural firm in San Francisco. According to Lewis Butler, Langholz’s boss at the firm, Langholz carefully crafted models of elaborately-designed homes.

“He loved building models of our designs, so we made a point of using his skills to enhance our presentations to clients,” Lewis Butler wrote in an email to The Argus. “The results were several beautiful models that are displayed in the storefront of our office and frequently receive compliments from our clients and visitors. I personally enjoy admiring the models on a daily basis, and feel lucky to have them as physical reminders of Noah’s contributions to us and others.”

Friends remember Langholz for his extreme compassion.

“Noah was as honest as friends get and was never afraid to show people he cared about them,” Tobias Butler wrote. “No one who has interacted with him will forget his extraordinary enthusiasm.”

Faisal Kirdar ’14, another friend of Langholz, explained that he was always impressed by his friend’s adventurous spirit.

“One of my fondest memories with him was when he took me sailing on one of those two-person boats with the club team sophomore year,” Kirdar wrote in an email to The Argus. “Even though I had no idea what to do, his joie de vivre and enthusiasm encouraged me to go for it. Whether it was getting me to sail, playing chess, or watching stand-up comedy in Film Hall, he was always eager to experience new perspectives. Above all, though, Noah was a sincere person. This made it easy to trust and confide in him.”

Tobias Butler explained that he, too, admired Langholz’ attitude.

“Noah is a seriously memorable person and it’s not just cause he was quite tall but without a doubt his exuberance and openness that made him so,” Tobias Butler wrote.

According to Culliton’s all-campus email, a funeral service for Langholz will be held on Friday, March 22 at the Mt. Sinai Memorial Park in Los Angeles. Interested students are encouraged to share memories of Langholz with each other and with the Langholz family on his Facebook page, by email to sauerbach2063@sbcglobal.net, or in person in his home in the Los Angeles area. Students currently on campus are invited to gather at 1 p.m. on Friday, March 22 at the Daniel Family Commons Lounge.

Rabbi David Leipziger is organizing a memorial service for Langholz. Members of the University community who are interested in helping plan the event are encouraged to contact Leipziger via email at dleipziger@wesleyan.edu.

“Noah had many friends throughout the Wesleyan community,” Culliton wrote. “He will be remembered for his sense of humor, compassion, and generosity, and will be missed by all.”