Saving the best for last: those have been the words consistently spoken by Wesleyan’s athletes throughout the course of this indoor season. For some, the campaign is already over, but for those still competing, this philosophy certainly seems to be coming to fruition. Though the women and men placed 12th and 21st, respectively, in this weekend’s meet, a number of individuals truly stood out along the way.

Beginning with the women, it should first be noted that their finish was the team’s best at this event since the 2005-06 season, something that highlights the exceptional athletes Wesleyan has this year. Two athletes who contributed a great deal on the day were Sierra Livious ’14 and Alexis Walker ’16. It is by no means the first time Livious and Walker have shone this season. Records seem to tumble every time they compete, and this meet was no exception.

Breaking her own Wesleyan record set earlier this season, Livious threw 42-10 1/4 in the shot put to place fourth overall. What made this feat even more impressive was the fact that she had come sixth in the pentathlon just a day earlier with a score of 2,898. Walker also placed in a couple of events, taking sixth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 0:07.35 and second in the long jump with a school-record 18-4 1/2 leap. The previous long jump record, measured at 17-4, was set by Austin Horne in 2002.

“I am extremely proud of both myself and the team,” Walker said. “Sierra was great at coaching me through the long jump at the meet since Coach Winiarski wasn’t there. She definitely helped me by reminding me to keep good form and technique.”

This being said, nothing should be taken away from Walker’s performance, which will literally go into the history books. Credit should also go to the other point-scorers on the day. Lia Monti ’13 finished sixth in the 400-meter (0:59.46), Julia Mark ’13 took fourth in the 3k (10:21.04), and Kate Cullen ’16 came through at seventh in the 800-meter (2:21.12).

On the men’s side, the star athlete of the day was Sam Roth ’13, who finished fourth in the 1000-meter event (2:32.84), less than two seconds shy of breaking the Wesleyan indoor record of 2:31.12 set in 2005. Roth also joined Austin Cotant ’13, Jack Pacelle ’13, and Skyler Cummins ’13 in an all-senior distance medley relay to place fifth with a time of 10:22.79.

“I’ve never been more nervous on a start line than before the 1000-meter,” said Roth. “But then, I settled in and felt great. It was definitely the highlight for me because I ran a tactically perfect race. I was in perfect position and executed my race plan.”

Next up for a select few athletes is the New England Open Championships hosted by Boston University on Feb. 22-23, which features teams from all three NCAA divisions.