Maybe it would have been wise to publish this article a week ago, when the snack binges inherent to Super Bowl Sunday still lay ahead of us. Writing it now seems a bit like peddling fireworks on July 5th. Uninterested in pro sports, I didn’t partake in any football festivities last Sunday. Early this week, however, I began to feel cravings for all things salty and sweet. I only realized the inopportune timing of this article several hours ago; as I stood smearing icing on “Oreos” that I had just pulled out of the oven. Hopefully you’ll find these recipes for homemade snacks enticing enough to try out yourself, in spite of whatever food-related overindulgences you may have enjoyed last Sunday.

This article features recipes that imitate two popular snack foods: Cheez-Its and Oreos. The homemade Oreo consists of two thin, dark chocolate cookies sandwiching a layer of vanilla buttercream frosting. Given the substantial quantities of butter involved, I wouldn’t go so far as to call it a healthier alternative to the real thing, but the ingredients list is significantly shorter; which has some value. The Cheez-Its are similarly unhealthy in their homemade version: each batch contains almost half a pound of cheddar cheese. In spite of this, they’re surprisingly crispy for crackers with so little flour: think cheese straws in rectangular form.

Of course, you can easily find both these snacks at Weshop for pretty cheap, so why bother baking them yourself? The answer: cooking is an art, and art not only imitates, but idealizes. These Cheez-Its are cheesier than Cheez-Its; these Oreos are sweeter and creamier than Oreos. If you seek an exact replicate of either one, look elsewhere. The brand-name snacks serve as mere inspirations for these superior treats.

Adapted from the blog Cooking Ala Mel.

Homemade Cheez-Its

Ingredients

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 cup granulated sugar

1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature

1 large egg

FOR FILLING

1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup confectioners’ sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Combine all four ingredients in a food processor and pulse until well mixed, about two minutes. If you own no food processor, mix the ingredients in a bowl and then vigorously mash them with a spoon. You may have to knead the dough to form it into a single mass.

3. Place the dough ball between two sheets of parchment paper. Evenly roll out the dough into a flat layer about an eighth of an inch thick. With a knife, cut the dough in a grid pattern, forming squares of your desired size.

4. Place the dough squares on a baking sheet (Spacing is not important). Prick the center of each one with a toothpick. Bake 10-14 minutes, or until golden brown.

Homemade Oreos

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp salt

Adapted from the blog Smitten Kitchen.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add the butter and mix thoroughly. Add the egg and continue mixing until a mass of dough forms. (A food processor can expedite the mixing process.)

3. Roll the dough into a long cylinder about two inches in diameter. Wrap in parchment paper and chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes.

4. Retrieve the chilled dough cylinder and slice it into medallions, about a quarter inch thick. Place the medallions on a cookie sheet and bake about 10 minutes. Let cool on a rack.

5. For the filling, combine the butter, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract in a bowl or food processor. Mix thoroughly until creamy; extra time in a food processor yields a fluffier consistency.

6. Spread the desired amount of filling between each pair of cookies.