On Monday, Jan. 28, University President Michael Roth announced the recipients of this year’s honorary degrees. Filmmaker Joss Whedon ’87, urban revitalization strategist Majora Carter ’88, and former Board of Trustees chair James van B. Dresser ’63 will receive their degrees at the 181st Commencement Ceremony on May 26.

Whedon, an award-winning director, writer, and producer, will also give the commencement address at the ceremony.

Whedon is the creator of television shows “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “Angel,” and director/co-writer of “The Avengers.” He is also responsible for cult hits such as “Firefly” and “Cabin in the Woods.”

Carter, a MacArthur “Genius” Fellow and host of the public radio series The Promised Land, founded Sustainable South Bronx and is currently president of Majora Carter Group, a nonprofit dedicated to resolving environmental inequality.

Dresser, after whom the Andrus Field baseball diamond was named, has helped steward the University through critical points in its history, including the appointment of President Michael Roth.

Last year, Senator Michael Bennet ’87, artist Glenn Ligon ’82, and president of Planned Parenthood Cecile Richard P’13 received honorary degrees from the University.