Although classes have finished and finals are just around the corner, the parties have only begun—holiday parties, end-of-the-semester parties, and I’m-going-abroad-say-goodbye-to-everyone parties. For some reason, it seems like all of my friends, clubs, and old housemates are organizing Secret Snowflakes (or Secret Santa for you gentiles), study parties, or dessert potlucks. So while I’d like to focus on the work piling up on my desk, my nights have been booked solid with people, get-togethers and most of all, food.

What to make for all of these potlucks with limited time, limited points, and limitless hunger?

That’s why I have compiled this helpful set of recipes for sweet holiday snacks. They’re each a cinch to make and absolutely delicious.  Bring them to your potluck, bake them for your study group, or even make them just for yourself to bring joy to the dark hours spent in Olin.

Happy Holidays from the Food Section and all of us here at The Argus!

Chocolate Fudge with Walnuts

Fudge: the lazy man’s dessert. Five minutes of active prep time plus four or five ingredients equals lots and lots of delicious fudge. It’s super simple and as long as you have a couple of hours to let the mixture chill, it’s the perfect treat to make and share.

Ingredients:

14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk

3 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips

Dash salt

1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Directions:

1. Line an 8×8 inch pan with wax paper and set aside.

2. Add milk, chocolate chips, and salt to a medium saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring constantly to combine. Once mixture smooth, add vanilla and walnuts and mix well.

3. Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly. Chill in refrigerator for at least two hours, until firm. Cut into squares and store in the fridge.

Peanut Butter Snickers Cookies

Adapted from Brown Eyed Baker

Makes about two dozen cookies

When you’re really not in the mood to write that essay, these cookies will keep you busy and will ensure that your friends will really miss you over break. They’re also so packed with Snickers that they’ll barely stay together, but I’m not complaining.

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2  cup unsalted butter, softened

1 cup creamy peanut butter

3/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1 egg

1 tablespoon milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups chopped snickers candy bars (about 4 regular size bars)

3/4 cup milk chocolate chips

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

3. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and mix until smooth. Add egg and mix until combined. Add milk and vanilla extract and mix until smooth.

4. Add flour mixture and stir until combined. Add chocolate chips and Snickers pieces.

5. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets and flatten gently. Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are slightly golden brown.

6. Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheets for five minutes before moving to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.

Apple Cinnamon Granola

Makes about 4 3/4 cups

This granola is sweet with a warm cinnamon flavor and is low in fat because it uses applesauce to create clumps instead of the usual butter or oil. It’s great as a snack on its own or as a crunchy yogurt topping. Consider taking it to the library for late-night study sessions or making a batch for a week of quick breakfasts.

Ingredients:

2 cups rolled oats

2 cups rice cereal squares, crushed

1/4 cup almonds roughly chopped

1/3 cup dried cranberries

2 tsp cinnamon, divided

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 tsp salt

1/2 cup maple syrup

1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 tsp almond extract

3 tbsp sugar/sweetener

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 300 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Combine oats, rice cereal, almonds, and dried cranberries in a bowl. Add one tsp cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and mix.

3. In a separate bowl, mix together applesauce, almond extract, sugar/sweetener, and remaining teaspoon of cinnamon. Add maple syrup.

4. Drizzle wet mixture over dry mixture and mix until evenly coated. Spread granola onto baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes or so, until lightly toasted. Granola will crisp up more as it cools.