When I saw the leather-bound, deep-lipped Gucci models stamp the runway last season, I didn’t anticipate the trend permeating a college campus. But months later, I see racks on racks of gothic-inspired lace and leather in Bloomingdales. I subsequently find myself buying a leather—excuse me, pleather—miniskirt as I assure myself it will wear perfectly in Connecticut come fall.

The likes of Alexander Wang, Versace, and Rodarte all ushered in waves of black and burgundy, lace and leather. With all the talk of “oxblood” this season in the fashion community (Hello? Has anyone noticed that it’s the exact same thing as maroon?), I can’t help but trace the dark and moody roots designers are planting for the season. Fall classically does away with the pastels and overt sweetness of the spring and summer months. Last spring, however, designers decided that come Sept. 21, a full-fledged gothic rebellion would overtake the typical deep color palette.

Back to the college campus. I can’t actually bend over in my aforementioned leather skirt. I found myself squeaking around in my seat in lecture like a stiff Barbie, and it occured to me that practicality isn’t the reason for leather shorts, skirts, dresses, and the like. It also occured to me that many girls—myself included—don’t really need that justification.

My father frequently assesses my ensemble and asks, “Why?” when I would usually ask,“Why not?” Who doesn’t want a little dominatrix infused into their school wardrobe? The lovely people behind the mass markets have made the look attainable for us, and so we ask, “Why not?” I’m not talking straight-up chains and harnesses, but a little leather here and some dark velvet there won’t hurt anyone.

Still, on the Wesleyan campus, is it appropriate to wear cow skin? I often stick to fake leather because it’s more ethical, and also because it’s cheap. The influx of leather pieces as staples this season has been met with an influx of leather substitutes, which are both more agreeable on a moral level and to our wallets.

The romantic lace of the Victorian Era is also making the rounds this fall but is now taking a darker turn. We’re no longer dressing to attend a nice Easter brunch, but rather something along the lines of a spooky Halloween late-night rendezvous. Fall traditionally welcomes the wools and tweeds and cottons that make a practical wardrobe, but this year may be different. Lace, leather, and velvet can all add texture to these weatherproof options. And what about a sheer lace shirt doesn’t scream snowstorm?

The entire gothic trend allows us to instill the most mundane of looks with a little darkness. I wouldn’t expect to see full corsets on campus, but look around and recognize the little bit of darkness in even the preppiest girl’s outfit.