Shannon Welch/Photo Editor

The Wesleyan field hockey team extended its winning streak to three games after facing the Lyons of Mount Holyoke College on Tuesday, Sept. 25, at home on Smith Field. The Cardinals walked away with a 3-1 victory and extended their all-time winning record against the Lyons to 26-6-2.

The Cardinals were first to score in the contest, as Ashley McLaren ’13 centered a pass from the left side, and Amber Bruckner ’14 put a shot past the Holyoke goaltender just 7:54 into play. Holyoke got its shots off just as well as Wes did, as each side had seven in the first half, though the Cards held a 1-0 lead until the waning minutes of the frame.

With less than four minutes remaining, Blair Ingraham ’14 collected the ball in the midfield, sprinted 40 feet towards the Lyon’s goalkeeper, cut left, and then shot against the grain to score, which gave the Cardinals a 2-0 lead heading into the half.

In similar fashion to the first half, Bruckner was the first to score after the break by putting in a rebound off a shot from senior Taryn Murray, who receives credit for the assist.

Although the Cardinals were in offensive control for the second half, and outshot the Lyons 13-4, Holyoke was able to respond late in the game by netting a goal off a penalty corner. However, this was the only time the ball would get past goaltender Tori Redding, ’13 who picked up the win in net with eight saves in the contest.

Overall, the Cards outshot the Lyons 20-11 and rode their offensive dominance en route to a 3-1 victory. Wesleyan’s record now stands at 3-3 after this latest win, the Cardinals’ first non-conference victory of the season. Next up, Wesleyan returns to NESCAC play to face the Middlebury Panthers on Saturday, Sept. 29. With home-field advantage on their side, the Cardinals hope to keep up the momentum in conference play as they look to extend their winning streak to four games.