Corey Sobotka/Assistant Photo Editor

After a slew of scoreless scuffles and one-goal battles, the Wesleyan women’s soccer team pieced together its first multi-goal game of the season by thrashing Salve Regina 3-0 on the road this past Wednesday. The Cardinals had taken the previous two matches against Salve, but this meeting was crucially important for a Wesleyan team that had yet to score on the road this season.

The Cards solved their offensive issues early on and started their onslaught less than two minutes into the game. A pair of first-year players energized the attack, as Beth Alexion ’16 made a searing run down the left flank and placed a perfect through ball to Isabel Clements ’16. Clements put the ball past the Salve Regina keeper, and Mikaela Curtin ’13 swooped in to blast the ball into the net for an emphatic first road goal for the Cardinals. Both Alexion and Clements were credited for their first assists as college athletes.

Wesleyan was swift to tack on some insurance. In the 23rd minute of the first half, Clare Ashforth ’15 took advantage of a beautifully bending corner kick from Kerry Doyle ’14 and put the squad ahead by two goals with a textbook header. It was the first goal of the year for the sophomore, and the Cardinal women were firing on all cylinders. After not being able to net a goal in the first two road matches of the year, the Wesleyan women’s soccer team took a 2-0 lead into halftime against Salve Regina.

Never one to be left out of the action, quad-captain Laura Kurash ’13 provided the final goal of the match in the 76th minute of the contest. Fellow senior Curtin took advantage of a careless Seahawk play at the edge of the box and Cap’n Kurash was able to get off a powerful left-footed boot from 20 yards out to seal the victory for the visiting side. Kurash’s goal was her second of the year and, more importantly, an indication of a return to superstar form for the All-NESCAC forward.

The Cardinals proved to be just as impressive on the defensive side of the ball, as they withstood a 19-shot barrage from the Salve Regina squad. Goalkeepers Jessica Tollman ’15 and Rachel Hobert ’16 each played a half and each made crucial stops to maintain their combined clean sheet. Defense has been the Cardinal squad’s key to success; through five contests this season, the team has only conceded two goals.

The road victory was exactly what the Cardinals needed: assurance that their offense can keep up with the potency of their defense. Excellent team play was the story of the match for the Cardinals, as a total of six players were involved in the three scoring plays. Wesleyan hopes to bring precise passing and efficient ball movement to Williams as the squad competes in the first of two Little Three competitions on Saturday, Sept. 22. The Cardinals look forward to another shot to bring the Little Three title back home to Middletown.