Twenty-eight members of the Class of 2016 are campaigning to become representatives for the Wesleyan Student Assembly (WSA). The class of 2016 has the chance to vote for nine of the freshman candidates from 12:00 A.M. on Monday, Sept. 10 to 12:00 A.M. on Saturday, Sept. 15. As the election gets underway, every candidate is in competition to win their fellow classmates’ vote.

“Frosh play a critical role in the WSA’s work,” wrote WSA President Zachary Malter ’13 in an email to The Argus. “[That role includes] sitting on committees with top administrators, spearheading major projects, and offering important voices in General Assembly meetings.”

Despite their recent arrival at the University, candidates must explain to their classmates not only what the WSA does, but also what they could do if elected to the position of representative. In past years, freshman representatives have served on the WSA in a variety of capacities.

“They bring great new energy and fresh perspectives to the assembly, and while they don’t serve on the Executive Committee, they are often some of the most active members,” Malter wrote. “Last year, frosh created the WSA newsletter, successfully lobbied for a 24-hour study space, organized a trip to New York City, chaired the sustainability task force, helped reform the SBC’s rules, and advanced the campus-wide conversation on diversity, to name just a few of their notable efforts. And I expect this year’s frosh to be equally instrumental in the assembly’s work.”

For many freshmen, choosing a WSA representative can be quite daunting. One freshman explained her fear of choosing the wrong candidates.

“As I’ve only been on this campus for a week, I don’t know many of the people running personally, which makes voting tricky,” said Laura Mead ’16.

Malter provided some suggestions on how to decide whom to vote for.

“Students who put in time and effort to campaign, including but not limited to canvassing, may be more likely to put in time and effort while on the assembly,” Malter wrote. “I would also suggest voting for people with thoughtful statements, those people who reflected on why they wanted to be on the assembly.”

The 28 freshmen hopefuls are running for nine available spots on the WSA. While this ratio can sound discouraging, Malter noted that candidates should remember that they can always run again for the WSA. He explained that even campaigning and losing has its benefits.

“Enjoy campaigning and see it as an opportunity to meet new people,” Malter wrote. “Learn more about Wesleyan, become more comfortable approaching strangers, and hone [your] electioneering chops.”

Freshmen can vote for up to nine candidates. The top seven candidates will receive full-year terms and the last two will receive half-year terms. Meanwhile, upperclassmen can vote for up to six people in the WSA At Large elections out of six possible candidates. In the At Large election, the top four candidates will serve for a full term and the other two candidates will serve for half a term. Perennial candidate Giant Joint ’54 is also expected to make strides in regaining a seat on the WSA. Log onto http://wsa.wesleyan.edu/voting/ to vote.