After finishing up your first official week of classes for the fall semester, be sure to head over to Eclectic on Friday night to see two diverse artists that are sure to clarify to freshmen the meaning behind the venue’s notorious title. For those of you 2016-ers who haven’t yet stepped inside the “Hipster Palace” of Wesleyan, it’s a necessary stop on a weekend evening if you want to get the full experience of a night out on campus.

The first act of the double-bill is Swedish solo artist Molly Nilsson (a.k.a Formerly Known as White Bread), currently residing in Berlin, whose music received a wider audience last year when John Maus covered her song “Hey Moon.” With a solid collection of albums and EPs already under her belt, Nilsson is known for her experimental ’80s music filled with retro synthesizers and electronically-programmed drums that form slow but clever beats and push her nostalgic sound into a futuristic realm. Nilsson’s voice is without a doubt the most unique aspect of her sound. Resonating at a low-tone, it sounds like a robotic concept project rather than the sole human element within a science fiction soundscape. Her pop vibes are sure to be a great way to start the night.

On the other end of the spectrum, Laura Stevenson and the Cans hail from Long Island and bring to the dance floor the traditional indie-rock vibe that attracts so many Wesleyan students. Their most recent record, “Sit Resist,” bursts with so much energy from the pairing of Stevenson’s powerful voice and the Cans’ rich instrumentation that it’s difficult not to become addicted to their pop style. The lead single, “Master of Art,” starts like a slow ballad but quickly erupts when Stevenson cries out “And we will stay inside a shape/And we will never ever worry/Never ever worry, YEAH.” It’s moments like these that demonstrate their desire to be loved by many and prove why they should be. While the cans have a completely different sound from Molly Nilsson, at their core both artists have an appeal that invites the listener to move closer and let the music take control.

Whether you’re looking for some unique beats or are just bored and trying to find a way to spice up your Friday night, Eclectic will definitely be what you’re searching for. This weekend should be a stellar start to another great year of music at Wesleyan.