Main Street Gas Line Springs a Leak
A gas leak occurred on Main Street on Monday afternoon, resulting in the evacuation of two nearby buildings and the shutting down of several nearby roads.
According to WTNH TV, a construction crew accidentally broke a gas line near Main and Court Streets at around 1:30 p.m. The Middletown Patch reported that Deputy Fire Chief Robert Kronenberger said that the gas line broke when a staff member of Ramani’s Clothier unwittingly hung a number of heavy suits on it. Ramani’s Clothier is currently going out of business.
The Middletown Police Department and Fire Department responded to the scene. Because the gas line did not have an automatic shut-off valve, the police had to wait for Yankee Gas to come and shut down the line.
Several roads in the area were closed for about an hour while the response crew dealt with the leak. Javapalooza and another restaurant located near the site of the leak were temporarily evacuated as well.
The nearby buildings and roads were later reopened and Ramani’s Clothier was aired out.