As the year begins, the Film Series extends its warm but still climate-controlled welcome to old friends and new faces alike. For those of you as yet unfamiliar with this venerable campus institution, the Film Series screens good movies for the Wesleyan student body in the Goldsmith Family Cinema, a state-of-the-art facility and a lovely place to beat the heat during these sweaty, late summer nights. Regardless of what you like, the Film Series has your back.

In this two-week time frame, you have the opportunity to see a tale of obsessive love hailed by film experts as the Greatest Ever, as well as some movie called Vertigo. You’ll be taken to the Wild West, Hollywood’s glitziest mountain road, and back to the USSR. Even if you don’t like movies, you’ll be sure to enjoy Iranian dissident Jafar Panahi’s new project, which is most definitely Not a Film. Whether you’re awkwardly adjusting to college life or gearing up for one last ride, come down to the Goldsmith for good cheer, quality cinema, and absolutely no eating, drinking, or smoking.

THE STING

1973. USA. Dir. George Roy Hill. With Paul Newman, Robert Redford.

Wednesday, Sept. 5. $5.

Bring in the new school year with the perennially beloved swindler’s classic. Get lost in the alchemical magic between Paul Newman’s pool-blue eyes and Robert Redford’s baby face in this elaborately twisting narrative. And if your freshman orientation squadron is having trouble connecting, Paul and Rob will show you how that whole buddy thing is done. Bonus: Show up early and pour one out for the great Marvin Hamlisch, the film’s composer, who recently passed away.

THE MAN NEXT DOOR

2009. Argentina. Dir. Mariano Cohn, Gaston Duprat. With Rafael Spregelburd, Daniel Araoz.

Thursday, Sept. 6. FREE.

Who is The Man Next Door??? Well, it turns out he’s a rather crass fellow who upsets his respectable neighbor’s bourgeois existence by breaking through his wall with a sledgehammer. Now that that’s settled, come and watch this insightful and entertaining black comedy   by two talented young filmmakers-to-watch. Latin American class antagonism hasn’t been this fun since Che last gazed handsomely into the distance.

THE AVENGERS

2012. USA. Dir. Joss Whedon ’87. With Earth’s Mightiest Cast.

Friday, Sept. 7. $5.

Do you have a problem with banter, battles, and boys bonding? Well, you’re shit out of luck, because The Avengers is full of that kind of stuff. Are you down to watch this crowd-pleaser par excellence with an enthusiastic crowd thrilled to be back on campus and ready to be pleased? Are you the last person on Earth who hasn’t seen The Avengers? Well…

VERTIGO

1958. USA. Dir. Alfred Hitchcock. With James Stewart, Kim Novak.

Saturday, Sept. 8. FREE.

A couple weeks ago, the British Film Institute unveiled the newest incarnation of its extensive critics poll which may or may not pinpoint history’s greatest film but stands as an unparalleled barometer of critical sentiment. Without giving too much away, let’s just say that Citizen Kane’s half-century long reign at the top has ended…Kim Novak is the gorgeous dame with a secret or two. Jimmy Stewart is the acrophobic detective who keeps finding himself in high places. Alfred Hitchcock is the master of suspense. Vertigo is the greatest film ever made. Are the critics right? Come see for yourself, seriously.