“COMMUNAL FOOD!” Every college student’s ears perk up at that phrase. It’s free food and it usually attracts a swarm of people to hang out with. But what if you cannot eat many types of food? Having a digestive disease/allergy/problem, such as Celiac Disease, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, or Irritable Bowel Syndrome can be extremely isolating because communities often gather around food. Think about it: When people hang out with friends, the first plan that pops up is “let’s get dinner!” It sucks to have to alter your friends’ plans because you can hardly eat anything at [insert school/Middletown eatery]. It sucks worse when the plans are unalterable and you’re left eating just French fries/salad/whatever that one thing is that you can actually eat—all while watching your friends chow down on that yummy smelling [insert trigger food here].

We at the Troubling Tummies Team want to create a community where people don’t have to feel isolated. We want you to be able to talk about your $hit (literally if necessary—don’t worry, we had to get used to it, too). There will be a potluck at the Bayit (157 Church St) at 6 p.m. this coming Friday the 11th for people with digestive issues and our friends/supporters. You’re welcome to bring whatever you like, ideally, something that YOU can eat. If you want to cook with us, we’ll start cooking at 4 p.m. We will be preparing multiple dishes: some gluten-free, some dairy-free, some fiber-free, and some low on spices. All vegetarian and all yummy! Join us! If you have questions feel free to contact me at ETrambert@wesleyan.edu.