The last game of the season for women’s lacrosse came with mixed emotions, as the team played well but faded late and allowed Connecticut College to seize the win. The game itself was a microcosm of the Cardinals’ season: a few missed chances resulting in disappointment. The contributions of many non-seniors this year, however, gives renewed optimism for next year’s campaign.

Wesleyan and Conn. College were in a virtual dead heat coming out of the first half. Two goals by team-leading scorer Kayla Ellman ’13, as well as contributions from departing senior Liz Chabot ’12 and junior Lydia Kring ’13, kept the Cardinals right on the Camels’ back. By halftime the Cardinals had been out-shot 18-8, yet managed to hold onto a hard won 4-4 tie, thanks in part to stellar goalkeeping by Maggie Drowica ’12 and her nine saves.

The second half was actually more even with regard to shots. The Cardinal offensive launched 13 to the Camels’ 15. The Cardinals were helped by Kaylin Berger ’13, who dumped two in the second half, while Kring chipped in another for good measure and Claire O’Brien ’12 scored one in her last game as a Cardinal. Unfortunately, these four goals, combined with the first-half four, did not match up to the second-half output of six by Conn.College, who ended up taking the game by a score of 10-8.

Next year is expected to be a strong season for the Cardinals, who will return with their top five leading scorers: Ellman, Berger, Catherine Taibi ’13, Kring, and Maddy Coulter ’14. Even with this potent offensive force coming back, the Cards will certainly miss the defensive efforts of goalie Drowica and defenseman Alexa Narzikul ’12, as well as the consistent contributions of O’Brien and Chabot. All the seniors will also be missed for their dedication and leadership, and we salute their efforts and contributions to the program.