The Wesleyan women’s tennis team were on the road for the fourth match in a row to take on NESCAC rival Connecticut College. The Cardinals entered the match on a three-game winning streak, having bested Colby, Babson, and Hamilton.

At Conn. College, the Cardinals took their torrid streak to a new level, romping the home team in a 9-0 shutout. Co-captain Sarah Miller ’12 and Grace Smith ’14 continue to excel, both destroying their opponents at #2 and #1 singles, respectively, and teaming up to roll past their opponents 8-0 at #1 doubles. Other singles winners were Genevieve Aniello ’13, Kiley Robbins ’14, Lauren Jacobs ’15, and Madison Hartley ’15, with the first three winning in straight sets. Hartley competed in the most contentious match of the day, winning three sets by a count of 3-6, 6-2, (13-11).

Joining Smith and Miller as victors in doubles action were Aniello and Robbins, who won 8-6, as well as the duo of Jacobs and Hartley, who scored an 8-5 victory. The victory lifts the squad’s record to 7-3 overall, 3-3 in NESCAC play, and 4-2 this spring. With three matches remaining in the regular season, the team has locked up another winning campaign. The final home match of the season comes on April 21, when the Cardinals will play host to Smith College.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.