The Wesleyan softball team traveled up the road to Hartford this past Wednesday, April 18, to face NESCAC West opponent Trinity College. The Cardinals looked to regain lost footing in the NESCAC conference after upsetting results versus Middlebury College and Williams College.

In the first game of the double-header, the Bantams were first to score in the top of the first inning, taking the lead 1-0. The Cardinals were unable to respond until the bottom of the fourth inning when Tori Redding ’13 singled and, due to a Bantam misstep, was able to advance to third base. Alexis Kral ’12 brought her home on a single that also earned her an RBI. Unfortunately, the next innings did not earn the Lady Cards any more runs, while the Bantams earned two runs in the fifth inning and three runs in the sixth. The final score of the first game was an upsetting 6-1.

After this disappointing loss, the Lady Cards had to bounce right back into action to try and come away with a win and a split in the series. The Bantams were first to score in the top of the third inning, earning three runs. The Cardinals responded next with two hits, but left three players on base. However, the Cardinals did earn a run the next time up at bat, after Allee Beatty ’13 doubled and Kral brought her home after singling. Just as the Lady Cards were gaining offensive momentum, the Bantams responded with two hits and earned two runs. The score was then 5-1 in Trinity’s favor, but the Cardinals had one last shot at bat to even the score in the bottom of the seventh. The Lady Cards added five more hits and three more runs, with Kral earning two more RBIs (a total of three for Kral) and one RBI for Jill Gately ’15.

Just based off statistics from the second game, Wesleyan was the dominant team. Wes had 13 hits, while the Bantams only had 7. Laura Getchell ’14 struck out five Bantams, while only one Cardinal was struck out by Trinity’s pitching. Despite these impressive numbers, the Bantams were able to come away with the narrow 5-4 victory, but a victory nonetheless.

The women’s softball team travels to Amherst College this Friday and then returns home for a second game against Amherst on Saturday.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.