After successfully preparing over spring break, Wesleyan women’s lacrosse launched their post-break season with a 15-11 victory over Western Connecticut State. The win was Wesleyan’s fourth of the year and their third against a non-conference opponent, bringing their record up to 4-4 overall (1-3 NESCAC). The loss dropped Western Connecticut State University to 4-3 on the season.

Wesleyan jumped out to an early lead in the first half, and was able to finish off the first 30 minutes with a commanding 10-5 lead. Even though they lost the second half 6-5, they had built up a large enough buffer that they never had to worry about the game slipping away.

Wes was led in scoring by a trio of juniors who accounted for ten of the team’s 15 goals.  Kaylin Berger and Catherine Taibi each notched three, while Kayla Ellman scored four.

Unfortunately, this impressive offensive output did not carry over to the all-important battle for the Little Three championship, as Wesleyan lost the title to Amherst by virtue of the Lady Jeffs’ 14-4 win. The first half was extremely close, as Wes held the Lady Jeffs to a one point difference at closing (3-2), but the second half was another story. Amherst ran away with the game by scoring ten unanswered goals to start the second half, and by this point their lead was insurmountable. Wesleyan would go on to score two more goals, while Amherst would tuck away one more.

Wesleyan was led by junior star Ellman’s three unassisted goals, solidifying her place as the teams’ leading scorer to date with a total of 21 on the year. Also contributing a goal was second-leading scorer Berger, who brought her impressive season total to 18. Berger was assisted on the play by senior Claire O’Brien.

Wes will look to rebound from this tough NESCAC loss when they go up against beatable opponent Colby College at home this Saturday.