When I found out that one of my housemates got a real-world, comes-with-benefits job, I knew exactly what type of baked item I had to make her in celebration. This recipe combines two of the best ingredients in the world into one delicious cookie that is so loaded with caffeine, it might actually keep you awake all night.

So bake these cookies if you have to pull an all-nighter and want a delicious snack to munch on while studying, or if you need to bake a gift for a friend addicted to coffee. Also, did you know that coffee is the second-most traded commodity in the world? Add this recipe to the list of reasons why.

Chocolate Espresso Cookies

Adapted from food52.com.

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature

1 cup white sugar

1 cup light brown sugar

2 eggs

2 1/2 cups flour

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon kosher salt

2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (sometimes i just grind up coffee beans extra fine if i can’t find any)

12 ounces chocolate chips

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if you are feeling spicy)

Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter and sugars until well mixed. Then, add the eggs and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and espresso powder.

Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix everything until the ingredients are fully combined. Add in the chocolate chips and stir.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and knead the dough into little balls, placing them two inches apart. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or a few minutes less if you want them gooey inside.

Eat and stay awake all night!