I’ll be the first to say that spring weather should mean less time in the kitchen. The sun is still out at 7 p.m.? Eat your dinner outside!

Sure, the more ambitious gourmands among us may see an opportunity to bake pretty things, like strawberry cupcakes. Hats off to you! (Please remember to share.) But most of us are still reeling from joy that we can walk outside barefoot and start working on our tans.

With a glorious spring upon us, it’s time to put away the slow cookers and dig out the silly straws. (Too early? Nah.)

Cooking in the spring is about, well, minimal cooking. No more squash-roasting and stew-stirring. We want to save time and energy in order to soak in the extra sunlight hours, but continue to eat well. It’s a difficult balance to achieve, but we shouldn’t limit ourselves to elaborate salads.

Omelets and frittatas have been popular quick-fix dishes in tiny kitchens across campus. It makes perfect sense; eggs are relatively cheap and highly versatile. When made with care, they can be flavorful and hearty enough to stand as a main dish. Case in point: Star & Crescent serves up frittata with potatoes for lunch that’s never the same but always delicious. I happen to lack grace with a spatula, however, and decided to scope out a more forgiving recipe for fancy eggs. My experiments yielded a fool-proof egg dish that just happens to resemble an expertly crafted soufflé. Go figure.

Much to your delight, I can comfortably guarantee that there isn’t a more versatile recipe out there. The brussels sprouts here can be substituted for any dark green you can get your hands on. Feel free to chop in some red onion and switch up the seasoning. Play around with the egg-to-veggie ratio. Add some bacon! Really, go wild. Happy spring!

Egg “Soufflé” with Garlicky Brussels Sprouts

2 large eggs

1 cup brussels sprouts, halved

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup milk

1/2 teaspoon curry powder

1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1/4 teaspoon salt

pinch of cracked pepper

1 tablespoon butter

1 clove garlic, chopped

Instructions:

Melt butter in a pan. Stir in garlic and curry powder blend. Brown the sprouts for two to four minutes on the flat side, just until edges have begun to curl. Do not stir at this point.

Sprinkle some water into the pan and cover with a lid. Remove from heat after two to four minutes.

In a ceramic cereal bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, water, salt, and pepper. Spoon in the sprouts and make sure to scrape in the bits of garlic. Add toasted sesame oil. Stir with a fork.

Fill a pot with a shallow amount of water. Place your bowl directly into the pot. The water level should rise about two inches from the bottom. Cover pot securely with a lid.

Bring pot to a low boil and leave for seven to ten minutes.

Allow the “soufflé” to cool slightly. Carefully remove bowl from pot and grab a spoon. Enjoy!