Although it’s still early, things are looking promising for the Wesleyan men’s lacrosse team this spring. The team has posted a 5-1 overall record, its best start to a season in three years, and has defeated rivals Williams and Amherst en route to its first Little Three title since 2008. With a 4-1 conference record, Wesleyan occupies third place in the NESCAC, a mere half-game behind Trinity and Tufts. Wes seems poised to take the conference lead in due time, if they can successfully harness the momentum from their most recent exploits.

While the majority of the student body left campus for spring break, the Cardinal laxers stayed on campus and did work. They posted a 4-1 record during that period, including three wins against NESCAC competitors. The Cards opened the season on Saturday, March 10 in Williamstown, Mass., where they handled the Williams Ephs with ease, jumping to a 5-0 lead in the first half before cruising to a 9-4 victory. The next day, the Cardinals continued northward to Clinton, N.Y., where they outlasted the Hamilton Continentals in a 9-8 nai-biter. The next weekend, on Saturday, March 17 in Middletown, the Cards incurred their lone loss to date, a 6-5 defeat against the Bates Bobcats. The Wesleyan players displayed grace under pressure as they rallied from a 5-3 deficit in the fourth quarter to send the game into overtime, yet it was the Bobcats who would claim the day on a goal with 1:26 remaining.

However, Wesleyan bounced back with three resounding victories. The Cardinals had a respite from conference play on Wednesday, March 21, as they traveled to Throggs Neck, N.Y. to take on SUNY Maritime, whom they defeated handily by a score of 12-3. On Saturday, March 24, the Cards returned to Middletown and to NESCAC competition in triumphant form, toppling Middlebury 7-3.

The first game following the end of spring break was arguably the biggest statement Wesleyan has made this season. On Wednesday, March 28, the Cardinals hosted Little Three rival Amherst, ranked third nationally in Division III.

The Cards jumped out to an early lead with a first quarter goal as midfielder Teddy Citrin ’12 took the ball behind the net and emerged on the left side before depositing it past the goalie. The second quarter saw Amherst even things up at one goal apiece before Wesleyan came roaring back with four unanswered goals. Midfielder John Froats ’12 received a pass from attacker Max Landow ’12 and scored a low shot inside the left post at 8:53. Hardly a minute later, long-pole midfielder Brendan Hanley ’13 assisted Citrin, who beat the goalie high on a one-on-one. Three minutes later, Froats again converted a pass from Landow. Landow himelf scored with half a minute remaining in the frame, off a pass from midfielder Aidan Daniell ’14. The Lord Jeffs managed one goal both in the third and fourth quarters, while Citrin earned a hat trick with 2:14 left in regulation as he beat his defender and caught the goalie out of position. When time expired, Wesleyan had triumphed 6-3.

On Saturday, March 31, at 1:00 p.m., Wesleyan will host 16th-ranked Endicott College on Jackson Field. Stay tuned as the Cardinals look to stick to their winning ways and keep their streak alive.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.