The 2011 Wesleyan women’s lacrosse team played in essentially two different modes of operation. When facing off with the powerful NESCAC schools, the Lady Cards didn’t manage to win a single game. Against non-conference opponents, the team went 6-0. The girls have shown that they can compete against non-regular opponents, and this year their challenge will be to see if they can hold their own against their rival in-conference schools. This will clearly prove to be a challenging feat, since the NESCAC is known as one of the stronger lacrosse leagues in all of Division III; however, Wesleyan’s women hope to be able to make an impact on the impressive conference.

While the team lost former stars Allie Lynch, (Wesleyan’s all-time assists leader), and Jess Chukwu (both ’11), the team returns with nine starters. Integral to the team’s plans will be the talented junior trio of goal scorers Kayla Ellman, Lydia Kring, and Kaylin Berger. These three scored 30, 28, and 27 goals last season respectively and combined to contribute 49% of the teams total goals.

Also expected to contribute in their new roles as captains are seniors Liz Chabot, Maggie Drowica, Alexa Narzikul, and Claire O’Brien. The quad-captains will be charged with leading a team comprised of a hefty influx of new blood, boasting an incoming freshman recruiting class that goes a dozen deep. With 12 out of the 26 current varsity players having never played college lacrosse, the Wesleyan women’s team will have to grow up quickly if it is to be a contender for the playoff spot that it covets.

The women open their season while the rest of campus is on spring break against Little Three rival Williams College on March 10.