Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts is undoubtedly one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Four-time MVP, 11-time Pro Bowler, and MVP of the 2007 Super Bowl, he is third all-time in touchdown passes, completions, and passing yards. His importance to the Colts was underscored this past fall by their 2-14 record in his absence, especially considering that he had led essentially the same Colts roster to at least 10 wins in each of the nine previous seasons.

So why is there a debate raging about whether the Colts should bring him back? You would think Indy would be falling all over itself to make sure he returns in 2012. The issue is that the neck injury that caused him to miss all of 2011 has been operated on numerous times, and some consider his neck to be in danger of serious long-term damage. To make matters worse for Manning’s future in Indianapolis, he is 35 years old and the Colts hold the first pick in the 2012 draft thanks to the league-worst record they amassed without him. Andrew Luck, Stanford’s record-setting quarterback, is the presumed choice for that pick, although Baylor’s Robert Griffin III won the Heisman Trophy this year and could be a dark horse in the race to be selected first overall. Although picking a quarterback with the number one selection can prove disastrous (hello, Ryan Leaf), Manning himself was a first overall pick, and teams have had success recently when picking quarterbacks first overall—Cam Newton of Carolina, Sam Bradford of St. Louis, and Matthew Stafford of Detroit were the last three number one picks, and they have all performed well.

Since the Colts hope to pick their future franchise quarterback in April’s draft, Manning and his $90 million contract have suddenly become expendable. While the Colts might not want him anymore, there are a plethora of teams around the league who would bend over backwards to have Manning under center. The NFL is undoubtedly a passing league these days, and quarterbacks of Manning’s caliber—even hurt—are in high demand. Indianapolis knows this, making them averse to cut him; but if they do not cut him by March 8th, they will have to pay him a $28 million bonus. That means teams would have to come up with ample trade bait in order to entice the Colts into dealing them Manning, or successfully impress Manning with their current roster in order for him to sign with them after he is cut. Only about half of the 32 NFL teams are comfortable enough with their current quarterback to resist taking a chance on Manning’s reconstructed neck, but every other team is a possible destination for his talents.

Here are the teams that are not in the market for Manning’s services: Atlanta (with Matt Ryan as the incumbent), Baltimore (Joe Flacco), Carolina (Newton), Chicago (Jay Cutler), Cincinnati (Andy Dalton), Dallas (Tony Romo), Detroit (Stafford), Green Bay (Aaron Rodgers), New England (Tom Brady), New Orleans (Drew Brees), the New York Giants (Eli Manning), Oakland (Carson Palmer), Philadelphia (Michael Vick), Pittsburgh (Ben Roethlisberger), San Diego (Philip Rivers), and St. Louis (Bradford). That leaves Arizona, Buffalo, Cleveland, Denver, Houston, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Miami, Minnesota, the New York Jets, San Francisco, Seattle, Tampa Bay, Tennessee, and Washington as the teams that would give up important players for Manning.

A number of those teams don’t really have a chance, though, because Manning is smart enough to avoid playing in a lot of those places. Arizona, Buffalo, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and Washington are all in horrible shape, and Manning likely doesn’t want to be part of a rebuilding effort. The remaining options are Denver, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, New York, San Fran, Seattle, and Tennessee.

Manning won’t want to get involved in the Denver circus that is Tebowmania or the dysfunctional Jets locker room, and the Colts won’t deal him to division rivals Houston or Tennessee (which aren’t good choices for Manning even if he is cut because of their current situations).

With Kansas City, Miami, San Francisco, and Seattle as the final contenders, Manning will want to go to the team that is closest to contending for a Super Bowl. That makes San Francisco the obvious choice, as the 49ers were a couple of special teams foibles away from facing the Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI. Manning would prove a significant upgrade over the incumbent, Alex Smith, but the 49ers won’t want to give up their core players that almost got them to this year’s Super Bowl. That means Manning only has a chance of joining the 49ers if the Colts cut him.

If they decide not to cut him, the Miami Dolphins have the best chance of the three remaining teams to trade a number of their assets for Manning and still be able to compete with what they have left. Besides, Miami fans have already started stumping for Manning, with the Manning to Miami website and billboards attracting a lot of attention around South Florida, where he owns an offseason home and was reportedly seen training on Thursday.

No matter what happens, both the Colts and either the 49ers or the Dolphins will be better off next year with Manning on his new team and Luck or Griffin on the Colts. No one is sure how the Manning story will play out, but the football world is waiting with bated breath for the eventual move that could shift the balance of power in the NFL.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.
  • Carlw1942

PLUS ….. “HE’S A VOL”

• Scubasteve

I would love to see him in Buffalo. We need help bad. He is a wonderful team leader and he is just what this team needs. If only Ralph Wilson would open his wallet. All of us in Upstate N.Y. have wanted a super bowl win for a very long time. The great Jim Kelly gave it 4 great shots. If only he could come back even as a quarterback coach would be great! Payton,PLEASE COME TO THE BILLS!!!!!

• manngle

Are you kidding? Manning would NEVER come to such a dysfunctional organization…How do you you spell inept?…BUFFALO BILLS

• Faithflow

I agree he might or posably should really think about a longer lasting job as a quarterback coach! I say colts keep him no matter if he plays or coaches!

• Chefdepatie

Ok Dallas, these knuckle heads in Indy don’t know what they have, so make your move,cuz Romo just anit work’n out!

• David

If he is not loyal to Indy and his team mates let him go and goodbye to him we need a loyal person not only here for the MONEY !!!!!

• Plymouthdevil1975

if i was him i would leave the owner has already distroyed the team and coaching staff

• Sandif

We will keep him in Indianapolis thank you.

• Ben

You are an idiot. Arizona is not in horrible shape. They won 7 of their last 8 games with a backup QB. Give them a decent QB and they are a playoff team. This “article” lost all it’s credibility when you showed that you really have no idea what you are talking about with that statement.

• Derreck Pressley

I don’t know this writer but he should consider that no team with any front office since would trade for Manning. None of them would want to take on that contract, especially with his health concerns. It’s clear Irsay is going to cut Manning prior to the March 8th deadline and use that 28 million on Andrew Luck. Any team that wants Manning will be able to stump for him starting March 8th and will be able to sign him to a cap friendly incentive laden deal and still have money to sign their draft picks.

• Rob

Football is a multi-billion dollar business. There isn’t any loyalty. Speeches to the contrary are pablum for naive fans.

There is no way Indie pays a $28 million dollar bonus to a 35 year old QB with a bum neck. Not even one who has been as good as Peyton. Not with Luck or Griffin waiting in the wings.

If Manning is crazy enough to continue playing and risk crippling injury, and he probably is as a giant ego is part of being a great QB, he ends up a 9er. For him its not about the money at this point. He wants another shot or two at the Super Bowl and he hasn’t much time left. The 9ers give him the best chance to do that.

• Casaline Woods

I would love to see my boy Peyton in Miami!!! Even though they have had a tough go of it. I’ve loved Miami since Griese was quarterback and not to mention Marino when my current love was Wide Reciever (Fred Banks #86). I never gave up on the team and never liked the Colts, but always loved Peyton my superman of football, with Vick second, Rodgers third and Brady fourth. Woooohooo!!! come on to Miami Peyton, we really need you.

• P Fletcher

Most people do not know that 49er’s Coach Jim Harbaugh was a quarterback for the Colts until he was fired to make way for Peyton Manning. But, I guess business is business.

• Bmilson

I would like to see him stay in Indy myself but the owner has already decided he is ready to move on. it’s a shame the owner is becoming another Snyder or Jones.

• Ben

Bring Manning to Seattle, Please and Thank you. He would put Seattle back on the map, and Show the world he is truly a superstar !!!!!!

• Chadmarinkovits

Umm…he hasn’t been there for the money moron…he’s one of the best ever, and would be making that kind of bread no matter who he’d been drafted by. He’s achieved great things with teams that were mediocre at best. Sure, you guys have had good skill players through the years, but never a completely dominant, deep squad. He should make a comeback if he can…hopefully with the Jets haha!