Jordan Schildhaus ’15 scored the game-winner for a 3-2 Wesleyan victory over the Colby College Mules on Friday night as the Cardinals made their push for a NESCAC playoff spot, but the team dropped a 4-3 Saturday rematch to set the stage for a matchup against Trinity next weekend with playoff implications.

The Cardinals broke out on Friday night, notching the first goal of the game after a scoreless first period to take lead and set the tone for the match. Kelsey Muller ’13 put in the first goal coming off an assist from co-captain Jill Reynolds ’12 who collected a rebound in front of the net and set up the goal. The Mules answered back quickly, however, scoring the next two goals to take the lead and put pressure back on the Cardinals. Wesleyan evened the score just before the end of the second period, with Becca Koppel ’13 slotting a shot that deflected in off the left goalpost for her second goal of the year.

Just four minutes into the third period, Wesleyan took the lead for good as Schildhaus corralled a rebound in front of the Colby goal and knocked it in to score the game-winner. The Cardinal defense held strong for the rest of the game and goalie Ashleigh Corvi ’13 finished it out with 32 saves.

The Cardinals returned to the ice for a rematch on Saturday, taking the lead with a goal from Cara Jankowski ’15 during the second period. Colby quickly responded with two goals minutes before the end of the period, allowing the Mules to head into the final frame with a 2-1 lead. Reynolds celebrated with a goal, tying it up for the Cards three minutes into the third period, while Muller put Wesleyan ahead soon after for a score of 3-2. The Mules were not to go home empty-handed however, scoring two goals in a 20 second span to capture the lead for good and escape with a 4-3 win.  Corvi ended the game with 32 saves, but Wesleyan was unable to clinch a spot in the playoffs with the loss.

Wesleyan will look to book its ticket to NESCACs this weekend as the team takes on the Trinity College Bantams in a home-and-away series starting Friday night at 7 p.m. in Middletown. Currently in position to earn the last spot in the playoffs, the Cardinals are in the driver’s seat and need only to match or better the games put forth by Colby as the Mules take on Hamilton next weekend.