In a season that has seen Wesleyan swing back and forth in NESCAC results, the Lady Cardinals followed up a recent loss to Amherst with a blowout win over Hamilton by a score of 72-52 at home.

Senior Day could not have come at a better time, as the Wesleyan women’s basketball team renewed their rivalry with Hamilton, whom they had not faced in 10 years. The game was incredibly tight throughout the first half, as the 1-6 Continentals looked to upset their rival host, who came into the game with a 4-3 record. The Cards didn’t allow this to happen and instead surged in front to take a five-point lead at the half. Hamilton cut the lead to as close as three points eight minutes into the second half, but that was the best that they would do. When the final buzzer sounded, the Cardinal seniors were able to end their home careers as winners.

It was fitting then that the performances that shaped the game and helped to tilt it in Wesleyan’s favor were primarily those of the seniors. Senior forwards Eileen Gaffney, Emily Lippe, and Sam LaCroce combined for 49 points with 15, 16, and 18 respectively. After nearly singlehandedly outscoring the entire Hamilton side, they managed to contribute in other ways as well. Each of them grabbed seven boards, and Lippe led the team with three steals. LaCroce and Lippe blocked a shot apiece, while Lippe’s six assists were good for second on the team behind guard Jenna Klaes ’14.

While the game was the seniors’ last regular season home game of their college careers, there remains a chance that it will not be the last time that they suit up in Silloway this year. The win gives the Cardinals a chance to make the playoffs with only two games remaining in the regular season. They currently sit in third place, tied with four other teams for that distinction, including Bowdoin and Colby. Wes will square off against the Bobcats and the Mules in their last games of the year, and if the Cards are able to win out, they may have a first round game here in Middletown. The women play next on Friday, Feb. 10th in Brunswick, Maine.