“What can I get ya, baby?”

For the countless students who filed through Summerfields each day looking for a hot meal and a little solace, this was more than just a greeting—LaVerne Pharham Fowler was a ray of light. LaVerne, who passed away peacefully last Thursday after a long battle with cancer, greeted students with smiles and warm welcomes during her 10 years working at Summerfields for Bon Appetit. Known to students as “Mama,” and “Grandma,” LaVerne not only worked the weekend register at Summerfields, but—be they strangers or old friends—made a lasting impact on the eatery and its patrons. She will be dearly missed by all the members of the Wesleyan community. A devoted mother in her personal life, she is survived by her five children, Lennie, also a beloved Summerfields mainstay, Regina, Jerome, Wayne, and Sammie; her husband George Fowler Jr.; and many grandchildren. For those who wish to pay their respects to LaVerne and her family, memorial services will be held 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3 at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, located at 19 East Congdon St. in Middletown. Donations can be made to her family c/o Lenora Sweeney, 172 Main St. Ext., Unit A., Middletown, CT.

• Tori

I’ve worked with Mama every Saturday I’ve been a student at Wesleyan. She was a very sweet woman who went out of her way to make sure you were doing alright. I can remember several times when she went out of her way to be especially comforting to me in my first semester freshman year. She was also always affectionately reminding students to be be safe when they left Summerfields after dark.

Mama offered a big hug and a kind ear to whoever needed it, and I will certainly miss her.

• Erik

I remember her dearly! May she rest in peace.

• Mad Joy

Rest in peace, Grandma. The Wesleyan community will miss you.

• Lennie121496

I am so very blessed to have had a mother like Laverne. There are no words that can say how much she meant to me and how wonderful of a mom and best friend she was. As it is said by most…she always for as long as I can remember hugged and loved me. I am Lennie her oldest daughter and I will live in her honor. Thanks for loving her BECAUSE SHE TRULY LOVED YOU ALL

• Ann

Lennie, do you have a email? I’m Wayne’s youngest.