Wesleyan Relay for Life has been distinguished by the American Cancer Society as “#1 in Growth” among existing college Relay events in the New England college division, with 64 percent growth in 2011. The percentage was calculated as a combination of participation and money raised. The 2012 event will take place on April 20 and 21.

Relay For Life is an overnight relay event that raises money for the American Cancer Society and is now in its third year at Wesleyan. According to co-chair Emma Caccamo ’13, the event raised $27,000 in 2010, its first year, and $47,000 this past spring. Last year’s goal had been to raise $30,000. Participation doubled from 2010 to 2011, with 500 to 600 people participating this past spring.

“The biggest struggle the first year was getting people to be aware that it was happening but we actually ended up having a really good turnout that year,” she said.

Besides raising money for cancer research, the event serves to bring the University community together, Caccamo said. She added that the organizational team hopes to further increase participation this year, and hopes that this designation will allow them to do so. A kick-off event was recently held, with another one planned for February.

“Besides the Spring Fling, we don’t have a big, campus-wide event in the spring,” Caccamo said. “As much as it does help support a great cause, it’s also about the event itself and the people at the event.”

According to Caccamo, 10 teams are already registered for the 2012 event, and she anticipates that 50 to 60 teams will register in total. Teams vary in size, with anywhere from five to 35 people per team. She stated that the distinction of “#1 in Growth” was a great motivator for future community efforts.

“It’s very gratifying to have a measure of our success compared to other schools—this is an award for everyone and for the entire Wesleyan community,” she said. “It can serve as motivation to keep working and expanding the event and can serve as a reminder that this is something that still needs people’s support.”

Co-chair Ann Wheeler ’12 echoed Caccamo.

“This year we hope to continue increasing our fundraising numbers and focus on the overnight aspect of the event,” she said. “We really want people to have a good time and I think it took a little bit of time for us to become known on campus, and for people to see us as a yearly event. Now that we’ve established that presence, people have been so supportive.”