The Cardinals faced off against Amherst College in a two-game series this past weekend, falling to the Lord Jeffs 8-0 on Friday night before turning in a strong defensive showing in a 4-0 loss in Saturday’s rematch.  Amherst entered the series ranked #6 in the nation and continued its undefeated record in NESCAC play with the wins.

Amherst came out strong Friday night in Wesleyan’s NESCAC home opener, controlling the possession early as the Lord Jeffs looked to get on the scoreboard first.  The Cardinal defense held strong until midway through the first period when Amherst senior Erin Babineau found the back of the net to stake the Lord Jeffs to a 1-0 lead.  Amherst would continue its scoring barrage throughout the game, adding a goal in the first, and three more in each of the second and third periods to come away with an 8-0 victory.  The Lord Jeffs got goals from six different players, with sophomore Barrett McBride and senior Emily Vitale each scoring a brace.  Cardinal goalie Ashleigh Corvi ’13 tallied 40 saves in the contest as Amherst held a 48-15 shot advantage.

Wesleyan came back stronger in Saturday’s rematch but found itself on the wrong side of a 4-0 score line.  Amherst provided the pressure on offense and took the lead with two goals in each of the first two periods before being held scoreless in the third.  Corvi turned in another strong performance in goal for Wesleyan, recording 45 saves as the Lord Jeffs maintained a 49-13 shot advantage and kept the Cardinals off the board.

Next up for the Cardinals is a game on the road against Nichols College on Tuesday night before they take on the Pioneers of Sacred Heart in a two-game series this weekend.