Both the men’s and women’s squash teams were well prepared for the challenge of  the Wesleyan Round Robin and finished with records of 4-1 and 5-1, respectively.

Ethan Moritz ’14 powered the Cardinal men through the weekend, winning all of his five matches as the #6 seed , including the one Wesleyan victory in their lone 8-1 defeat at the hands of Brown. At the top of the ladder, #1 seed John Steele ’14 and #2 seed Daniel Sneed ’15 each won three of their five matches over the course of the weekend.

Steele’s and Sneed’s wins were each 3-0 shutouts and coincided with 9-0 drubbings of teams from Fordham, Hobart, and Johns Hopkins. In addition to the loss against Brown, Steel and Sneed also dropped their matches against Colby, with wins by Alex Nunez ’14, Jeff Berman ’14, Mike Delalio ’15, Moritz, Zander Nassikas ’14, and Luke Wherry ’13 pulling Wesleyan through to a 6-3 win over their NESCAC rival.

On the women’s side, the weekend was a similar story of extremes, with 9-0 wins over Tufts, Colgate, William Smith, and Smith, while a 9-0 defeat, also against Brown, proved to be a sobering footnote on an otherwise stellar weekend. The one contentious match of the weekend for the Cardinal women came against the Colby Mules as well. Though top-three seeds Mary Foster ’14, Lauren Nelson ’15, and Annie Maxwell ’15 each dropped their matches to the Mules, Wesleyan rallied to a 5-4 win with victories by Tanesha Jackson ’13, Grace Zimmerman ’13, Nell Schwed ’14, Kar-Anne Tan ’14, and Meherazade Sumariwalla ’12.

The Cardinal women will take to the courts one last time before winter break, traveling to Mount Holyoke on Dec. 8. The men’s squash team will resume play at the Yale Round Robin on Jan. 14 and 15.