How can we complain about the variety, quality, or high prices at Bon Appetit locations when we are contributing to these qualms? How can we push for more local options? How can we push for more fresh fruit? How can we justly complain about the annual increases in our Residential Comprehensive Fees when we are collectively driving up the budgets of departments with each stolen item from the University or University contracted vendors? When you steal items from Bon Appetit or Wesleyan, you are not just stealing from them; you are also potentially stealing from yourself and your fellow students. How can we expect the dining budget to remain the same? This money could come from somewhere else, be it the athletic department, the music department, or our residential comprehensive fees.

If you haven’t heard, this year already (as in 3 months, people) we have spent over $19,000 RE-BUYING new dishware to replace the stuff you stole. We understand that we are committing social-psychology suicide by letting you know that all of your friends are stealing. Psychology studies show that when messages portray problems as normative, those problems are likely to continue. You may think, “Hey, everyone else is doing it, I may as well, too.” However, whenever you steal that cup, bowl, or plate, you are contributing to a $19,000 (and rising) problem with real consequences. These consequences primarily affect you. We’re asking you to rise above group mentality. Send the message that, “No, everyone is not doing it. People are starting to understand the consequences and stop stealing.”

Don’t steal. Tell your friends. Bon Appetit has a budget, and when they lose dishes, the replacement money has to come from somewhere. You may care deeply about your hoarded cups and bowls, but are they worth the ensuing budget consequences in other potential departments, ones you may, in fact, have a stronger interest in? Is it worth an inferior dining experience? Is it worth cutting the job of a part-time worker? (Almost the exact cost of what’s been stolen so far.) Would it be worth generating the waste resulting from all paper products? As of right now, it is almost cheaper to replace all of the Usdan dishware with disposable paper or plastic products, which would needlessly kill thousands of trees every year.

We decided to forgo social psychology rules and explain the far-reaching, possibly inter-departmental and environmental consequences of this theft. This is a serious issue. We cannot continue spending this much money because of theft. We understand you may have, in fact, several pieces of stolen Usdan dishware. We understand you may, in fact, want to return them, but are afraid. We offer you AMNESTY!

Starting in Clark and Fauver, there will be yellow bins in the kitchenette (tiny kitchen) on each hall. Consider walking 10 feet and putting your stuff in these bins. We’ll return it all to Bon Appetit. This amnesty program will be expanded to other residences soon! In the meantime, you can always return it to Usdan, where it will be welcomed with open arms.

Latto is a member of the Class of 2012 and Softness is a member of the Class of 2014.