Will Levitt/Staff Writer

If you’re like me, Thanksgiving is all about the sides. Sure, turkey is perfectly tasty, but it’s the stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans, cranberry relish, and gravy that really do it for me. Thanksgiving has always been about unity—whether of families, friends, or side dishes.

If you’ve never cooked anything for Thanksgiving but have always wanted to bring something to the table (no pun intended), here’s the perfect recipe for your first go at it. It’s a simple, foolproof recipe for cranberry relish (a.k.a. cranberry sauce) that requires almost no preparation, cooks in minutes, and can be made far in advance.

This cranberry relish is tart, sweet, and spiced, combining bright, sour cranberries with fresh apple cider, golden raisins, and a dash of autumn spices. I like to add a little spoonful of this stuff right in the middle of all my sides to enjoy with each bite. It really brings your Thanksgiving together.

Thanksgiving Cranberry Relish

Makes approximately 2 cups
Adapted from www.cilantropist.blogspot.com

Ingredients:

– 3/4 cup apple cider or apple juice
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
– A pinch of ground cloves
– 3 cups fresh cranberries
– 1/2 cup golden raisins
– 1/2 cup chopped walnuts

1. In a medium pot, combine apple cider, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg over medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
2. Add the cloves, cranberries, and raisins and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until all the cranberries have popped.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the chopped walnuts. Allow to cool a little before serving.

Can be stored up to one week, refrigerated in an airtight container.

• Dried cranberries provide many of the same benefits as fresh ones, and at least one study suggests they could even be as effective as cranberry juice in preventing urinary tract infections! Have you tried a Dried Cranberry Recipe? Here is the quick and easy recipe I found, http://blog.buraga.org/2011/11/quick-and-easy-cranberry-sauce-recipes.html

• Elizabeth

Simply, an amazing recipe! I like my cranberries a little sweeter, and this does it! Yum Yum!