Tucked away in the farthest corner of Main Street Market, It’s Only Natural (ION) is an all-vegetarian restaurant that consistently draws a crowd of students with their seasonally chosen ingredients and creative dishes. ION has been around for over 30 years, and has regularly won awards for being the best vegetarian restaurant in the area.

When I visited with a friend on a Tuesday night, we were greeted by an almost completely empty dining room–not something that usually bodes well for a good meal. Once we were seated, however, I was soon won over by the menu and the quirks of the place. Each table is covered with a blackboard-like surface, and there is a small bowl of sidewalk chalk to keep diners entertained while they wait for their food. The decoration throughout the room is eclectic and a little kitschy, with strands of lights draped over the windows and lots of local art for sale.

The menu at ION changes daily, with specials provided for both lunch and dinner. Along with the all-vegetarian menu, there are also a number of soy and gluten-free options available.

My friend and I chose to try the hummus plate, an appetizer served with hummus, tahini, olive oil, pita bread, and vegetables for dipping. For a second appetizer, we tried the sweet potato fries, served with a side of smoked ketchup. As our entrée, we shared the taco salad, a plate overflowing with refried beans, steamed vegetables, tofu, rice, cheese, sour cream, and salsa, all inside a tortilla shell and served on top of lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. The plate was piled high.

The hummus platter was quite satisfying–the hummus was served warm, something I had never tried before. The consistency was a little chunky, but not at all dry, with just the right seasoning. All in all, I’d rank this hummus as probably the best I’ve ever had. The sweet potato fries, while still quite good, were a little greasy for my taste, and seemed more like tempura potatoes than French fries. The smoked ketchup on the side, however, was delightful, and added something completely new to a classic dish.

After dispatching our appetizers rather quickly, my friend and I moved on to the taco salad. Neither of us could believe that a vegetarian salad could be so filling and enjoyable. I was especially delighted to notice the sesame oil that had been drizzled on top of the dish, something unexpected that definitely added another dimension.

For dessert, we decided on the carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. The waiter informed me that all desserts are made in-house from fresh ingredients. It’s becoming exceedingly rare these days to find restaurants where desserts are made from scratch, so I was excited to taste it. Though the dessert turned out to be enjoyable, I was a little disappointed to discover that it tasted more like spice cake than carrot cake.

I returned the following day with another friend and tried the coconut cake, which, surprisingly, tasted more like carrot cake. Besides the mix-up of desserts, however, my experience at ION was wonderful. The food exceeded my expectations, and the tab for our appetizer, entrée, and dessert came to only $35. In addition, the service was quite good, with friendly staff who managed to laugh at a few poor attempts I made at humor. If you’re seeking to get off campus for some non-cafeteria fare, or are sick of wasting points at Pi, ION is the perfect respite, sending you on your way after a meal you won’t regret.

It’s Only Natural is open seven days a week, from 11 a.m. – 9 p.m., and their menu can be viewed on their website at www.ionrestaurant.com.