Skyler Cummins ’13 finished fourth in a field of 129 runners at the annual NESCAC championship at Amherst this past Saturday. The team co-captain finished the five-mile course in an outstanding 26 minutes and 19 seconds, just 28 seconds behind the individual winner, Middlebury’s Michael Schmidt.

Cummins’ exceptional performance contributed to the Cardinals’ seventh-place finish amongst 11 teams. It was also the best result by a Wesleyan runner at the NESCAC meet since 2005, when Owen Kiely ’06 finished in second place.

The next Cardinal finisher was Cummins’ co-captain, Bryan Marsh ’13, who came in 21st place with a time of 26:47. Austin Cotant ’13, Seth Hafferkamp ’12, and Sam Roth ’13 also contributed points to the Cardinals’ team score.

On the women’s side, the Cardinals put up a decent team effort, finishing eighth out of the 11 schools. Junior co-captains Julia Mark and Hannah Zimmerman, along with Tess Crain ’12, finished 36th, 37th, and 39th in a 121-runner field. Nellie Triedman ’13 and Shivani Kochhar ’14 were the next two finishers for Wesleyan.

Both Cardinal B-teams will travel to Williams to run in the ECAC Division III meet on Saturday, Nov. 5.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.