In the final week before All Hallows Eve, fall has arrived in full, with a fury of  wind, rain, and snow. For your faithful Full House dwellers, the arrival of fall means warm drinks, over-sized pumpkins displayed in the common areas, and leaves littered throughout our kitchen.

Fall also provides an opportunity to experiment with a fresh batch of autumn ingredients. If this sounds intriguing to you, come see and sample some of our favorite fall recipes this weekend during the Haunted Carnival in Usdan. This Saturday at 6 p.m., Full House and several other houses on Washington Street. are partnering with Brighter Dawns to bring you an evening of festivities including face painting, costume contests, sugar skull making, and corn dog eating. Perhaps most importantly, there will be a myriad fall treats created by the residents of Full House. To whet your appetites, here is a small preview of some of the snacks you can expect to find.

Hot Cider

Warm apple cider is a classic treat for a fall party. Apples are the quintessential autumnal fruit and are free to any student who braves the walk to the local orchards or frequents Usdan. Ellie’s family recipe is simple and delicious and can be made in the comfort of a student kitchen. All you need is a large pot, some cups, and the following ingredients: one gallon of apple cider, three orange slices, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cardamom, and cloves. Once you place all of the ingredients in the pot let it simmer for several hours and serve hot. To stay extra warm amidst this New England chill, add a splash of something a little stronger.

Kebabs and Corn Dogs

For Rachel’s vegetarian family, a fall favorite is vegetable kebabs. Although fall is not necessarily a season known for lush green produce, there are still a variety of ingredients to choose from. Some ideas for fall vegetables are pumpkin, squash, onions, and zucchinis. To make the kebabs, rub your vegetables in olive oil and place them evenly spaced onto skewers. Grill them or bake them until browned and season lightly with salt, pepper, or anything of your liking.

Ellie’s personal favorite, and an Indiana delicacy, is of course the classic corn dog. For those of you unfamiliar with what a corn dog is, picture a hot dog on a Popsicle stick covered in cornbread batter and deep fried until golden brown. In other words, absolute heaven. For the best results it should then be lathered in ketchup or mustard. Although Ellie recently discovered that she shall be making the corn dogs sans deep fryer, she remains optimistic about her ability to avoid oil burns.

Come see the happy, hearty, and not-so-healthy sides of fall this Saturday evening with your favorite Full House foodies, hopefully dressed in our Halloween best.

Peace, lots o’ love, and pumpkins.