True comedic genius transcends all mediums, a statement which Matt Stone and Trey Parker proved with their latest success, the Tony award-winning musical “The Book of Mormon.” In their smash hit, the dynamic duo behind “South Park,” along with”Avenue Q” writer Robert Lopez, strive to take on the sensitivetopic of religion.

Broadway has always had controversial elements: from “Hair” to “Spring Awakening,” writers have always pushed the boundaries of what is allowed on the stage. Yet, “The Book of Mormon” strives to go above and beyond in topic matter, profanity, and all around zaniness. At the same time, Matt, Trey, and Robert are able to tread this comedic line through a well-developed tribute to the musical values and techniques of Broadway heroes such as Rodgers and Hammerstein. With elaborate dances and full orchestrations backing a stellar cast led by Josh Gad, Andrew Rannells, and Nikki James, “The Book of Mormon” succeeds in providing an incredible musical experience alongside the humor everyone expects from the folks behind “South Park” and “Avenue Q.”

Besides its artistic significance, “The Book of Mormon” could hold value as a popular critique of religion. In much of the country, open questioning and satirizing of religion is considered at best poor taste, and at worst blasphemy. While Matt and Trey are used to being called blasphemers by the members of the many religions they parody, this musical has not received the backlash that many expected it would. Rather, the Mormon church’s statement about the musical appreciated its value as entertainment. The show’s writers strive to accurately depict the beliefs of the church and show (uncharacteristic) respect for them. People expected a comedic slaughter of the Mormon religion, yet came to find the show to hold a cautious appreciation for it.

As a newer religion, Mormonism is, well, easy to satire. However, the success of the show proves that Americans of all stripes can take a step back and laugh at their beliefs while valuing them at the same time. One of the biggest difficulties this country has is peaceful coexistence between those who believe and those who do not. Through comedy, perhaps people can allow themselves to appreciate the right to criticize and question religion. Part of living is questioning everything around us; why must religion be exempt? However, this question is not to suggest that people must reexamine their faith and change, but merely that as human beings, we are naturally curious and need to be able to pursue answers to the questions of life’s meaning.

• Michael Blitz

Great review, Mr. Leibowitz! If you are the same Matt Leibowitz with whom I (Michael Blitz) exchanged a couple of emails, please get in touch with me ASAP at mblitz@jjay.cuny.edu Thank you!