Will Levitt/Staff Writer

There is a new idea out there that is revolutionizing the way college students go about procrastinating. It is called Late Night Baking. And it’s delicious.

Late Night Baking typically starts around 9:30 or 10:00 p.m., when you realize that you finished dinner three long hours ago. You decide that the reason you couldn’t concentrate on your reading is probably because you’re still hungry and that the only responsible solution is to eat something. But what? There are leftovers from dinner, but you just ate those and don’t want any more. And that’s when Late Night Baking starts to make so much sense.

Apple Cake for Late Night Baking slightly adapted from David Lebovitz and Dorie Greenspan makes one nine-inch cake.

This cake is my favorite apple dessert, even more than apple pie. The batter is light and fluffy and holds the juicy apple slices just right. Eat it late at night and then again for breakfast the next morning. If you want, serve it with a nice scoop of vanilla ice cream.

INGREDIENTS

-3/4 cups flour
-3/4 tsp. baking powder
-pinch of salt
-4 large apples
-2 large eggs, at room temperature
-3/4 cups sugar
-3 tbps. dark rum, optional
-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
-8 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled to room temperature, plus
more unmelted for the pan
-1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.

2. Heavily butter a nine-inch springform pan and place on a baking sheet.

3. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.

4. Peel and core apples and slice into thin slices.

5. In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy and then mix in the sugar, rum (if using), and vanilla. Whisk in half of the flour mixture, then mix in the melted butter. Mix in the rest of the flour mixture and then the rest of the butter, until a smooth batter forms.

6. Gently fold in the apple slices until they are fully coated. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake pan.

7. Smooth out the top of the mixture and dust with nutmeg, if using.

8. Bake the cake for 50-60 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen. Remove the cake from the pan and serve.