Following a tough loss at Tufts University last Saturday, in which the Cardinals were unable to post any points on the scoreboard, Wesleyan field hockey co-captain Morgan McCauley ’12 knew that the team would need to find the back of the net if they hoped to win any of their upcoming games.

On Wednesday night at Wesleyan’s Smith Field, McCauley answered her own urgent call for goals, as she put the Cardinals on the board with a goal 19 minutes into the first half, along with an assist later on in the game. Ultimately, Wesleyan come away with a 2-0 victory over the visiting Wellesley College Blue.

The Cardinals took control of possession early on in the game, setting up three penalty corners in the first five minutes, but were unable to convert any of these opportunities into goals. Attacks by the Blue forwards were met by a solid Wesleyan defensive line throughout the night, with Taryn Murray ’13 making a huge stop just 12 minutes into the game. During this play, Wellesley had launched a counterattack off a Wesleyan corner, only to have the ball swiftly stripped away by Murray to regain possession for the Cards.

Seven minutes later, Wesleyan finally found the back of the cage, as McCauley received a pass from co-captain Liz Chabot ’12 and quickly slotted the ball into the lower corner of the net. With just nine minutes remaining in the half, McCauley swept the ball towards Chabot who put the ball in the net to give the Cardinals a 2-0 lead heading into the second half.  The goals and assists were the first of the season for both McCauley and Chabot.

Wesleyan continued dominating possession in the second half, keeping the offensive pressure on the Blue throughout the entire game. Wellesley put up a strong fight as the clock wound down, threatening Wesleyan with three penalty corners in the final two minutes of the game. But despite the Blue’s final offensive attacks, Wesleyan goalkeeper Tori Redding ’13 was able to withstand the Wellesley pressure, finishing the contest with six saves to preserve her first shutout of the season.

“Tonight we played together as a team, and got a strong showing from our forwards,” said Chabot after the game.

The Cardinals (2-2), still looking for their first NESCAC win this season, will host the Williams College Ephs this Saturday at 11 a.m. on Smith Field. As Chabot emphasized, the key to obtaining that first conference win this weekend will be for the team to stay focused and composed on the field.

“Now that we’re back in scoring form, we’ll be ready for Williams this weekend,” said Chabot of the upcoming Little Three matchup.