Kerry Doyle '14 battles the Tufts women's soccer team for a header.

After a hot start to the season had the Wesleyan women’s soccer team sitting pretty with an undefeated 2-0 record, the letdown finally occurred this past Saturday as the women lost a close game to NESCAC rival Tufts 1-0.

In their first two games of the year, Wesleyan had established a winning formula by combining relentless offensive pressure, striking over 20 shots on goal in both contests, with tenacious defense. On Saturday, the offense was not able to maintain the high level of intensity, and the defense suffered a slightly more lax performance as they were unable to stop a highly-regarded Tufts team.

The Cardinal offense was no match for a talented Tufts defense, which managed to hold a usually dominant Wesleyan squad to just six shots, only four of which were on goal. Fresh off of a one-goal, one-assist contest, sophomore Kerry Doyle paced the Cardinals with two of the team’s four shots on goal.

On defense, Wesleyan was given a taste of its own medicine as the powerful Tufts attack managed to get off 22 shots, with 10 on target.  Wesleyan keeper Jessica Tollman ’15 turned in another fine performance, totaling nine saves on 10 chances. The one that got away from Tollman came in the 52nd minute, as Tufts kick taker Alyssa Vonputtkammer passed a free kick opportunity to midfielder Lauren O’Connor, who managed to get a goal off of Tollman – only the second one this year.

Unfortunately, one goal was all that Tufts would need, and as the relatively lopsided game concluded, the result hadn’t changed.

Wesleyan’s record now stands at 2-1, and their in-conference record is a respectable 1-1.  The loss to Tufts is not a major setback, as the Jumbos are currently sitting in second place, firmly among the NESCAC elite.  The Cardinals look to continue their string of strong performances and put the hiccup against Tufts behind them when they return to action on Tuesday at non-conference opponent Salve Regina. Their next game against a NESCAC opponent is Saturday Sept. 24, when they will attempt to beat Williams College, who is currently undefeated in NESCAC play.