This fall, the Usdan Music Co-Op (USMC) has planned a number of new changes for the Music Rehearsal Room in the Usdan University Center (Usdan), including the purchase of new equipment and information sessions for students interested in using the space.

Since 2008, the USMC has overseen rehearsals and maintenance of the rehearsal room in the basement of Usdan. The group, which is made up of musicians who utilize the space, was formed after Rayna Edwards ’10 brought the issue of damaged equipment to the attention of Usdan Operations staff. A budget had not been designated for repair of donated equipment. The USMC was formed to oversee the purchase of additional equipment for the rehearsal space, as well as to create guidelines for students who wanted to use the room.

Current USMC co-presidents Chris McGinnis ‘14 and Evan Low ‘14 have come up with several ideas for the new year.

“We will be working all year to continually improve the quality of the rehearsal space,” wrote Low in an email to The Argus. “Because we are new to this process, we will adjust our strategy and our policies as need be. Immediately, in terms of equipment, we hope to get a new keyboard, a ride cymbal, a batch of drum sticks, and fix one of the guitar amps.”

Associate Director of Operations of Usdan Joanne Rafferty said that McGinnis and Low have continued Edwards’ legacy of improving the rehearsal space for students.

“[Edwards] also reached out to other musicians on campus to help create policies on how to best use the room,” she wrote in an email to The Argus. “She did a great job in also grooming students to replace her and keep the group going.  Evan and Chris are as equally dedicated as Rayna and have already made great strides on improving the use of this space.”

Students who wish to reserve the room must now attend an information session or speak to Graduate Intern and USMC adviser Jessica Ruddy, in order to review room policies and the Web Room Request System (EMS). The USMC hosted four information sessions in the first several weeks of the semester.

“The sessions have been a great way to introduce ourselves, explain the new system, and develop the USMC community,” Low wrote. “Anyone who could not attend any of these sessions may now go see Jessica in her office in order to run through the policies and sign up.”

The rehearsal space has seen high demand from student musicians in the past. Last year, the room was the most frequently reserved location at Usdan, with over 1,200 bookings.  The USMC hopes to acquire another rehearsal space similar to the one already in use in order to accommodate a higher number of rehearsals. In the meantime, a new USMC policy dictates that one musician or group may book the room up to three times per week.

McGinnis and Low will meet with Ruddy weekly to discuss Co-Op news. Among the USMC presidents’ responsibilities are funding requests from the Student Body Council, weekly inventory checks, and general upkeep, including trash pick-up.

“Members of our Co-Op, however, should not be leaving any trash behind, given our Pick Up Your Trash or Die policy,” Low noted.

Other ideas for the new year include a fundraising concert to finance repairs and new equipment, as well as an instrument co-op, which would allow students to share musical equipment. The Co-Op welcomes new members, and will continue to work on improving the condition of the space.

“The USMC will work best if our members communicate with us, ask us questions, and give us suggestions on how to make the room a better environment for all of us,” Low said.