A throng of students were gathered in the foyer of Eclectic last Friday evening, chattering about a mysterious tweet and Wesleying post, when Amanda Palmer ’98 walked in. Wandering through the halls holding a Miller High Life, she asked the crowd, “Living room or dining room?” After a few shy responses from the students, she decided on the dining room as the venue for her “ninja gig,” and led the assembled group over for the politest rock concert in the history of Eclectic (and probably all of Wesleyan).

Palmer, who gained a huge following and critical acclaim fronting goth-cabaret duo the Dresden Dolls, waited until the crowd was quietly seated cross-legged on the floor, joking about the audience’s familiarity with her music and asking whether people were planning to attend the Film Series’ screening of “Stop Making Sense” or a performance by “the crazy Italians” (Italian dance company Dewey Dell) later that night. Then, armed with only a ukulele, a severely out of tune piano, and her powerful singing voice, Palmer launched into a request-based set of covers and greatest hits.

Among her most memorable song selections were fan-favorites “Coin-Operated Boy,” “Runs in the Family,” and “Leeds United” (from her first solo album “Who Killed Amanda Palmer”), and she deliriously pounded them out  on the perfectly out-of-tune piano. Palmer also peppered in an eclectic mix of covers, from a cheerily ukulele rendition of NWA’s “Fuck Tha Police” to “Friday” by Rebecca Black (from the perspective of a truck-stop hooker). The latter featured depressingly hilarious lyrics, Palmer smiling as she yowled, “Friday, Friday, gotta go down on Friday/Gotta disassociate in order to withstand it.”

A highlight of the set was “In My Mind,” from Palmer’s album “Amanda Palmer Goes Down Under,” released earlier this year. The simple, sweet melody was well suited to a stripped-down live performance and showed off Palmer’s powerful singing chops with more softness and sentiment than her other sharp and witty songs. Palmer closed out the show by leading the crowd in a rendition of Radiohead’s “Creep.”

Both before and after Friday’s early-evening performance, Amanda Palmer was spotted at numerous locations all over campus socializing with students. But if you missed her, you may still be in luck: she hinted several times throughout her stay that she plans to return in the spring, possibly with her band, to work with students on a collaborative project and perform again—stay tuned kids.