I know your classes have already started, but I wanted to welcome you informally to Wesleyan. I have been here for the past three years and now I am in my fourth year, so I have lots to share with you.  I am also happy to welcome you, as your freshman class is the last I will have the pleasure to get to know before I graduate.

Wesleyan is great for a couple of things and one of them is the unique gigantic parties—give it a few months and you will see what I mean. It’s only at Wesleyan that you can pop into any house when you hear the sound of music. Partying is fun, but be careful, as you might not do any homework. The veterans at Wesleyan are able to party all night and then stay focused the whole day on their studies.

The second great thing about Wesleyan is how involved students are in different activities, particularly activism. They care about social issues and they want to see radical changes. The best way to get to know Wesleyan is to get involved with one of these groups.

The third great thing, and the secret to success at Wesleyan, is to find a quiet place to study. We have a couple of quiet areas upstairs in Science library and Olin. Academic life at Wes is always fun if you like your classes, but it can be hectic if you don’t like what you are studying. So don’t rush before picking your classes and ask around to find out how other students feel toward that class.

At Wesleyan, we have the best Residential Life system, and I mean what I am saying as I have worked with them for more than three years. At ResLife, they care so much for the students and want the best for them. They care that students are in a safe environment and get support for everything they need.  To serve you better, they have posted a Residential Adviser (RA) near you. Make use of them–they want to help. They would love to listen to anything: relationship confusion, crushes, or problems with a fellow student. Feel free to talk with them.

Also remember, Public Safety is there for you. Don’t be scared of their uniforms—they are not police. The uniform is there for you to identify them whenever you have a problem. If you lose your keys, or cell phone, or card just give them a call and they will try to assist you.

Wesleyan is a place of diverse culture and we always want to learn from other people. So don’t give up who you are in order to “fit in” at Wesleyan.

The thing that I most appreciate about Wes is how lucky I am to be here.  College is something that is all too often taken for granted.  But everyday that I am here, I know how lucky and privileged we are to be here—and that there are many people in the world who would give anything for the opportunities provided by Wesleyan.  So take advantage of them.  I think everyday of all of my friends in Kibera, Africa’s largest slum, who would be thrilled to be stopped by PSafe, or love to spend the day studying in the library.  Whenever you feel stressed, just think that there are people who will never get the chance you have because they were born on the wrong continent, or in the wrong zip code.  Don’t forget how lucky you are—and that your Wesleyan experience will ultimately be what you make of it.