Jose Rodriquez, a custodian in Fauver, has eight grandchildren.

For many students on campus, relationships with the custodial and maintenance staff rarely extend beyond nods and greetings. In the upcoming weeks, we hope to discover more about the staff we meet less often—custodians, landscapers, maintenance workers—and take a look at their backgrounds, personalities and off-the-job quirks.

The Argus: How old are you?
Jose Rodriquez: I’m 43 years old.

A: Where do you work?
JR: I’m the daytime janitor for freshman and senior Fauver.

A:Where are you from?
JR: I’m from Hartford. I was born in Puerto Rico, but I moved here in the ‘70s to find work.

A: Did you have family here, or were you the first one to immigrate?
JR: Just one aunt–I was alone when I moved here. I have a family now, though. I have five kids. The first one is now 30 years old—her name is Jadee’a. She lives in Hartford, and just recently got married three days ago. The wedding was great. She also has four kids. I have another daughter whose name is Ira, but we call her Jasmine. She’s 22, also lives in Hartford, and has one daughter. I have a son named Carlos who joined the army. He’s served almost 10 years already. He’s 25, and he has daughters. My youngest daughter is 18, just had a baby a month ago, and my youngest son is 16. So I’m an grandparent times eight.
A: So with all your family in Hartford, how did you come to work at Wes?
JR: I used to work in Hartford, but the building where I worked closed down, so they had to transfer me here to the school. Same company.

A: If you could take the day off of work and go anywhere you wanted today, where would that be?
JR: I would go to Hawaii.

A: Do you have any pets?
JR: Yes, I do. I have a little Malti-Poo (Maltese Poodle Mix). He’s half poodle, so his name is fluffy. He’s very poofy and white.

A: If you were forced to eat with a single utensil for the rest of your life, what would it be?
JR: A fork.

A: Have you met any of this year’s new freshman class?
JR: Yes, I meet a lot of people around the dorms.

A: Any favorites?
JR: I met Alex a couple of days ago this week. I don’t know his last name. And Brian, he’s a good guy.

A: What are a few of your favorite things?
JR: My favorite color is blue. My favorite food is Spanish food, all kinds. My favorite music is also Spanish, el cumbio, salsa, merengue, things like that.

A: Who would win in a fight, a polar bear or a wild stallion?
JR: The stallion.