I was a picky eater growing up. It was pretty much cereal for breakfast, and pasta for everything else. Occasionally, though, I was forced to go outside my comfort zone, for example, when I went over to friends’ houses for dinner. Not wanting to go without dinner, I would be forced to step outside my boundaries and tried something new. Much to my amazement, I often ended up liking whatever was being served.

I remember going to a friend’s house and being served breaded chicken cutlets for dinner. Perhaps it was because they are such a simple and satisfying weeknight meal, perhaps it was because they resemble chicken fingers or chicken nuggets, but I was unusually open to trying them, as long as nothing “interesting” was served on top.

And so breaded chicken cutlets went on my “acceptable foods” list. And I still love them. If prepared correctly, they are crunchy on the outside and juicy and succulent on the inside.  As a kid, I remember them being served with tomato sauce. There’s nothing wrong with a little tomato sauce on the side, but I’ve prepared these to have plenty of flavor in the breadcrumb coating, with chili flakes, lemon zest, and parmesan cheese mixed in. And I use Japanese panko breadcrumbs–perfect for pan-frying for an extra crunch. Once they’re fried up, a squeeze of lemon is all they need.

I also remember green beans being the perennial side dish for weeknight meals. As a kid, green beans took me a little longer to warm up to than chicken cutlets. Years longer, in fact. Well into the second decade of my life, I started to eat these slender greens, mostly served steamed with a little butter on top. But for this rendition of one of summer’s most humble vegetables, I’ve added toasted cashews, sesame seeds, olive oil, and lemon juice.

This recipe is all about taking a classic meal and serving it up with a batch of new flavors. It might not be the chicken cutlets and green beans of your childhood, but hopefully, you’re not the picky eater of your childhood, either.

Parmesan Panko Chicken Cutlets
Serves 2-4

1. Set out three pie pans or shallow bowls. In one bowl, place the flour. In the second bowl, beat the eggs well. In the third bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, lemon zest, chili flakes and a dash of salt and pepper.

2. Working with one chicken cutlet at a time, first dip both sides into the flour, coating well and shaking off excess flour. Then dip the cutlet in the egg mixture, coating well. Finally dip both sides into the panko mixture, being sure to coat the chicken in an even layer of breadcrumbs. Place on a plate until ready to fry.

3. Heat a sauté pan large enough to hold all four chicken cutlets on medium heat. Add a layer of vegetable oil and allow to warm. Place the chicken cutlets in the oil and allow to fry for 3-4 minutes on each side, until it is cooked through and golden-brown on the outside. Remove to a plate covered with a paper towel and allow to sit for a minute. Serve with lemon wedges.

Cashew Green Beans
Serves 2-4

1. Place a small amount of water in a covered medium pot. If you have a steam basket, place it in the pot. If not, don’t worry about it. Allow the water to come to a boil. Add the green beans and cover. Cook for 4-8 minutes, depending on thickness of green beans, until cooked through but still a bit crunchy.

2. In the meantime, heat a small skillet on medium heat. Add the cashews and sesame seeds to the dry pan and toast, tossing frequently, until lightly browned. Remove from the pan.

3. Transfer green beans to a serving platter and dress with olive oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Toss well. Top with cashews and sesame seeds and serve at once.