Despite the dreary downfall of rain, Ellie and I returned to the local Wesleyan favorite formerly known as the Cardinal’s Nest. Although the name has been truncated to the simpler, perhaps edgier moniker, “The Nest,” the restaurant has resurfaced with bits of the old charm still shining through. The Nest now offers a new back lounge furnished with comfy chairs, low tables, and dim lighting, ideal for sharing a few drinks and pleasant conversation among friends. However despite the renovations, the charmingly slanted chrome tables and diner-style bar stools remain standing tall, though perhaps a bit more tilted than before.

Although the menu has only undergone slight tweaks and shifts, Ellie and I, with our new-found commitment to healthy eating sprung from the bosom of Full House, looked on with dejection at one particular change; the transformation of the hearty Portobello burger to the cheese-smothered Portobello melt on rye. Despite this mushroom mishap, Ellie and I both ordered meals that were self-gratifying and delicious. Ellie stuck to her Indiana roots choosing the hearty pulled pork sandwich as her entree, but opting for the healthier side salad to accompany the decadent sandwich. As a Hoosier, (person from Indiana, a state that produces and exports a great deal of pork) and subsequently self-proclaimed pork connoisseur, Ellie found the pulled pork delectable. The meat was tender and smothered in a tangy sweet and savory sauce. One aspect of the sandwich that is unique to The Nest is the additional heap of coleslaw that garnishes the pork and offers a cool crisp taste to each bite. On the greener side, this humble writer devoured the vegetable hummus wrap. Filled to the brim with fresh hummus, cucumbers, lettuce, and tomatoes on a whole wheat wrap (which could be substituted for a garlic wrap), this vegetarian meal is as wholesome as it is delicious. As an added bonus, the house-made balsamic vinaigrette served as a perfect compliment to the veggie wrap. Upon first bite, I couldn’t help but think the dressing had been made just to be drizzled over this flavorful meal. Heavily influenced by Greek and Mediterranean cuisines, the side salad contains feta cheese, black olives, and cherry tomatoes with your choice of dressing. However, if you feel more in the mood for something classic, fries and seasoned vegetables are also available accompaniments to any entree. To wash all these morsels down, Ellie and I were served icy cold water in the now-trendy Mason jar and straw style. Sipping from our glass receptacles and munching on spare bits of lettuce and cheese, Ellie and I could not help but reflect on how nice it felt to return to The Nest.