After working at the all-freshmen cookout the first night of orientation, I realized the general lack of knowledge about foods commonly served at Usdan is frightening.  have decided to introduce these foods to you now, so you will never mistake a piece of tofu for fish again.

Polenta

This is a yellow patty that is made of boiled cornmeal. It can be served as either mushy or firm. When properly spiced, it can be delicious. It is really soft to the touch or taste bud, so I would suggest trying it at least once to see if you like the texture.

Quinoa

Referred to by many as the miracle grain, quinoa is a traditional grain grown in the high Andes and contains a complete set of proteins, making it by far the healthiest grain you could eat. It is cooked like rice, and the yellow variety is served daily in the vegan section.

Tempeh

Like tofu, this is a soy product. It is made by fermenting soy beans and forming them into bricks that are easily stir-fried. Similar to seitan, it is a great source of protein for vegetarians and vegans.

Kale

This leafy green is easily confused with chard and collards and is a dark green vegetable commonly sighted in the Usdan vegan section sautéed with other vegetables. It can also be baked into Kale chips, which surprisingly taste nothing like the raw green that can have a bitter taste if not properly dressed.

Seitan (not pronounced like Satan but the more drawn out sey-tan)

As observed at the first all-freshman dinner at the CFA green, many of you were first introduced to this Wesleyan staple in its barbecue form. No, it is not some form of pulled pork. It is actually wheat gluten processed into slab-like forms. It’s a vegan go-to because it is full of protein and can be sautéed in a variety of ways. You will see this frequently at the vegan station at Usdan.