The Wesleyan women’s tennis team closed out its regular season this past Tuesday, April 26 with a final home match against NESCAC rival Connecticut College. Despite putting up a tough battle on both the singles and doubles sides, the Cards fell to the Camels 4 – 5, leaving Wesleyan with a final spring season record of 7 – 5 (4 – 2 in the NESCAC).

Genevieve Aniello ’13 opened up for the Cardinals, as she fought her way through an intense match at the number one singles spot. Aniello worked hard throughout the entire match, but unfortunately was unable to come away with a victory and fell 6 – 7, 4 – 6. Sarah Miller ’12 followed at the number two spot, winning her match 6-1, 2- 6, 6 – 3. Grace Smith ’14 triumphed at the number three singles spot, trampling over her opponent 6 – 1, 6 – 1. Kiley Robbins ’14 struggled at the number four spot and took down a 3 – 6, 2 – 6 loss.

Number five, Linda McDougal ’11 competed in what would become a match of endurance as she lost the first set 6 -7, came back to win the second 7 – 6, but could not hold until the end, and lost again in the third set 4-6.

“We were pretty upset about the 5–4 loss to Conn. College because we’ve always beaten them in the past,” Miller said. “This year it came down at 4–4 to our senior captain who played incredibly well, but lost in a tie breaker first set, won in a tie breaker second, and then just barely lost in the third set at 8 p.m. in the dark.”

“We were bummed that Linda did not come away with a win in her final match at Wesleyan, but she fought extremely hard and we still feel like she won.”

Nicki Softness ’14 rounded out the singles sets, as she came through with another big win at the number six spot, defeating her opponent 6 – 0, 6 – 1.

On the doubles side, although Aniello and Smith fell at the number one spot 7-9, Miller and Robbins came away with a big 8—2 win at the number two spot. McDougal and Softness closed out the day with a final 5—8 loss to the Camels.

“Not all of the doubles matches went as we would have liked,” Miller said. “But my partner and I played the best doubles we’ve played all season, so we were pretty excited about that.”