Almonds and Elephants, one of the University’s favorite live acts, is in the process of releasing a new EP. The band (Owen Callahan ’12 and Matt Hurwit ’12) has chosen to present its latest creation in an unconventional way. Instead of releasing the EP all at once, a new track will be released each week online with unique cover art for each release. Eventually, all of the tracks will be released, and the currently untitled EP will exist as a whole.

“[We chose this method to] accommodate for the modern attention span, and [allow] us more time to polish the tracks,” wrote the band on the website.

Each weekly track is available for a pay-what-you-want download on almondsandelephants.bandcamp.com.

So far, two of the EP’s tracks have been released. The first, “Hot Cigar,” is an upbeat, jazz-infused barnburner. Featuring the brass noodling of Callahan and Eric Sherman ’10, the track has an extremely quick tempo. While listening one finds one’s foot tapping uncontrollably, and with the lyrics “You are a freaky child, look at you go,” the song only encourages this behavior.

The latest release, “Oh, In Dish World,” is a slow song that conjures up images of a Jay Gatsby party. Like the previous single, it also features jazz horns and a danceable beat, but this latest song has a much more laid back attitude.  With backup laughs from the Wesleyan Laughing Club, “Oh, In Dish World” features an easy going strum that is sure to temporarily cast away all of the listener’s troubles.

With loads of musical talent and a love for fun, Almonds and Elephants is a must-see live act on campus. The two first releases from their new EP demonstrate that the energy and musicality that the band exhibits on the stage translates to recorded sound. Be sure to check back weekly for a new addition to the Almonds and Elephant’s catalogue.