The Wesleyan women’s lacrosse team made the long trek up to Colby on Saturday, April 9, with a tall task at hand. Coming off a strong second-half effort at number four Trinity earlier in the week, the Cardinals looked to ride their momentum towards their first NESCAC victory. The Colby Mules, ranked eighth nationally, would not allow it, racing to a 7-1 lead 20 minutes into the contest. Wes played the Mules even for the rest of the game, with the final score 13-7 in favor of Colby. Kaylin Berger ’13 led the scoring attack for Wes, notching three more goals to give her a team-high 22 on the season, and extending her goal-scoring streak to nine consecutive games. Other scorers for the Cardinals were tri-captain Jess Chukwu ’11, Claire O’Brien ’12, Lydia Kring ’13, and Kayla Ellman ’13, all with one goal apiece. Maggie Drowica ’12 followed a career-best 18 saves with 12 more at Colby, and led the team with three ground balls.

The loss drops Wesleyan below .500 for the first time this season, with a 5-6 overall record, including a 0-6 mark in NESCAC conference play. The next contest for the Cardinals will be Saturday, April 16, on the campus of Williams, where they will face the 16th ranked Ephs. The game will be the third straight road game for Wes, and the fourth straight game against a nationally ranked NESCAC opponent.